Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire (pizza)

So I've done about a dozen pizzas on my LBGE so far, and it seems I still have a lot to learn.  Such is life.  Pizza Nirvana remains elusive.  

The setup: I build a large fire, get it going strong, place PS over it (legs down) and the pizza stone on top.  This last time I tried to keep it around 600 degrees.  I use parchment paper and then the pie right on top of that.  After 3min, I pull the parchment paper.  Then I let it cook for another 2 min.

I am assuming it's just on there too long, because the crust is coming off slightly burned. I was disappointed because I had backed off the temp (700+) and time a bit from the last time I cooked pizza, with the same result (burned crust).   The thing of it is... when I pull the parchment paper, the pizza toppings generally don't look sufficiently cooked to me.  It really looks like it needs a few more minutes to me.  

So what's the secret to getting that nice brown crust and still having the pie toppings sufficiently cooked?  Should I just be cooking at a lower temp?  
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• I'll fix you right now:

PS legs UP, pizza stone on grid. Boom.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Cen-Tex is right - only mod I would suggest to that is I put a grill extender on top of my grid to get to a couple of inches above this gasket. Stone goes on that. Higher in the dome = more heat to cook the toppings. That setup has given me perfect results every time, and I do at least one per week. 600 degrees for 8-10 mins and you should have perfect toppings and golden crust.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2013
    ddegger said:
    Cen-Tex is right - only mod I would suggest to that is I put a grill extender on top of my grid to get to a couple of inches above this gasket. Stone goes on that. Higher in the dome = more heat to cook the toppings. That setup has given me perfect results every time, and I do at least one per week. 600 degrees for 8-10 mins and you should have perfect toppings and golden crust.
    Good call. I have the AR with extender too. I was just assuming he had the stock set up. I totally agree that cooking  high in the dome is where it's at. Doing it as we speak :)

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    ddegger said:
    That is how I do mine. I am right at 4" above felt line

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I'll fix you right now:

No no no! Couple of firebricks on the fire ring. Platesetter legs down on the bricks. Some copper plumbing tees on the platesetter with the pizza stone on the tees. 700*- 900* and you're smokin cigarettes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'll fix you right now:

No no no! Couple of firebricks on the fire ring. Platesetter legs down on the bricks. Some copper plumbing tees on the platesetter with the pizza stone on the tees. 700*- 900* and you're smokin cigarettes
    didn't you see that ddegger said I was right? Stay out of it. Geez

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I was already outa here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Cen-Tex is never wrong, is he :-O
  • ddegger said:
    Cen-Tex is never wrong, is he :-O
    not in my mind :))

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

I'll fix you right now:

Agree agree agree
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • soooo......I don't use the method I recommended, I just saw your equip list and made a suggestion based on that. If you can get higher in the dome, do that. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,865
    Right, well, last time I tried this... the pizza was higher up in the dome. Quite a bit actually.

Last time I cooked at 700+ with a grid over my PS, then the stone on top of a wire mount that came with it, which put it up above the gasket by about 3 inches or so.  Still burned.  

I'm wondering if my problem is having a rather crummy pizza stone.  It's one of the ones from the pampered chef - I didn't buy it, someone gave it to me.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2013
    Right, well, last time I tried this... the pizza was higher up in the dome. Quite a bit actually.

Last time I cooked at 700+ with a grid over my PS, then the stone on top of a wire mount that came with it, which put it up above the gasket by about 3 inches or so.  Still burned.  

I'm wondering if my problem is having a rather crummy pizza stone.  It's one of the ones from the pampered chef - I didn't buy it, someone gave it to me.  
    drop the temp. It's all about the dough. Neapolitan pies are cooked way hotter than others. If your dough is burning, cook at 500-550 or change your dough.

• JohnInCarolina
    edited April 2013
    drop the temp. It's all about the dough. Neapolitan pies are cooked way hotter than others. If your dough is burning, cook at 500-550 or change your dough.

I've been getting the dough ready-made from the grocery store - Harris Teeter or Trader Joe's.  The flavor has been great (when I haven't burned it).  

I'd be up for trying to make my own but it's just so damn easy to make a pizza this way. Of course it's not much use if it continues to be burned.  Still, I'd like to think there's a way to do it right even with the dough I've been getting.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Legs down only works if the dome temp is <550. Stone on the setter is OK, wipe the stone between pies with a damp cloth to cool it slightly. 
    If cooking at higher temps, setter legs up, grid and spacers if desired, then stone. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

Nope. I got a hammelton beach stone and peel for $16. It is about 1/4 in thick and a total piece of crap. It has worked like a champ for over two years. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • drop the temp. It's all about the dough. Neapolitan pies are cooked way hotter than others. If your dough is burning, cook at 500-550 or change your dough.

I've been getting the dough ready-made from the grocery store - Harris Teeter or Trader Joe's.  The flavor has been great (when I haven't burned it).  

I'd be up for trying to make my own but it's just so @#!*% easy to make a pizza this way. Of course it's not much use if it continues to be burned.  Still, I'd like to think there's a way to do it right even with the dough I've been getting.
    oh yeah- if you are using store bought dough, 550 is probably max. dough is custom to the type of pie. store bought is assumed to be used in an oven. cooking pies at 550 is fine if you have the right dough. 

drop the temp with this dough and check out the forum for good dough recipes when you are ready

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited April 2013
    You're not using the preshredded cheese are you? That stuff doesn't melt good. I go PS legs down, pie pan and egg feet on PS, stone on egg feet at 550. Takes about 12 minutes every time. Oh and parchment paper too, and rotate pie after 5 minutes, and buy dough from local pizzeria.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • JohnInCarolina
    oh yeah- if you are using store bought dough, 550 is probably max. dough is custom to the type of pie. store bought is assumed to be used in an oven. cooking pies at 550 is fine if you have the right dough. 

drop the temp with this dough and check out the forum for good dough recipes when you are ready

Thanks - first time I've seen mention of this.  

What recipe do you use?
  • JohnInCarolina
    500 said:
    You're not using the preshredded cheese are you? That stuff doesn't melt good. I go PS legs down, pie pan and egg feet on PS, stone on egg feet at 550. Takes about 12 minutes every time. Oh and parchment paper too, and rotate pie after 5 minutes, and buy dough from local pizzeria.
    No I've been cooking margherita-style pies with fresh mozzarella.  
  • http://www.food.com/recipe/americas-test-kitchen-thin-crust-pizza-472204

This is a fool-proof homemade dough recipe. Just remember you need to make it about 24 hours in advance.
  • JohnInCarolina
    http://www.food.com/recipe/americas-test-kitchen-thin-crust-pizza-472204

This is a fool-proof homemade dough recipe. Just remember you need to make it about 24 hours in advance.

Great - I like fool proof! Thanks!

• http://www.food.com/recipe/americas-test-kitchen-thin-crust-pizza-472204

Great - I like fool proof! Thanks!

550-600 is good for this one too.
  • My trouble is actually getting the pizza onto the stone without messing it up. I put corn meal on the peel then try to slide it onto the stone. Never works right. Any suggestions?
  • Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    I am not fully versed in egging yet, but I feel like I have ha some good luck with pizza's. I use 2 setups depending on what I want. If its a regular pizza, plate setter legs down, grid, I use my 3 egg feet under my deep dish stone that is upside down and cook my pizza on the bottom of stone @ 600 degree's. If I want a pan pizza, I get out my CI skillet and use the same setup, but I put my skillet on the pizza stone. Pizza's crust never burns and the toppings are done and the cheese gasket is amazing.

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

• goodkookr said:

My trouble is actually getting the pizza onto the stone without messing it up. I put corn meal on the peel then try to slide it onto the stone. Never works right. Any suggestions?

Wooden peels work best but we use a steel peel and parchment paper. So much easier.
  • Cyclops42
    Cyclops42 Posts: 64
    This is the pan pizza from the CI skillet

Atlanta, Ga. LBGE and Mini BGE

Wants:  More time and beer.....

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I'll fix you right now:

And having a beer...or does that go without saying?  My Egg won't light if there isn't a beverage right there.  Sometimes I trick her by setting an unopened one right next her.  Then I put it back in the fridge...never knows the difference.  You gotta do what you gotta do.  ;)
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited April 2013
    If you are having trouble with the crust burning I would leave the sugar out of any recipe, most likely grocery store dough contains sugar.  When you are making a dough that is going to be used within a few hours of making it sugar is necessary to feed the yeast, for doughs that are refrigerated for a day it's not necessary as there are enzymes in the dough that convert starches in the flour to sugars to feed the yeast, it also makes for much better tasting crust.

Gerhard
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Like others have alreayd mentioned, its more of a crust/temp issue than how you are setting up your Egg. Not all crusts can be cooked at the same temp. Does the dough you are buying have directions on the bag? I'd start there and see how it turns out. Modify if need be. I'm betting 450 would be closer to the ballpark.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings