Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The good and the bad...

BigGreenBamaGriller
BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Got my first brisket in the egg along with a little pork butt for variety. We're having a Masters themed early dinner: BBQ (of course), pimento cheese dip, deviled eggs, potato salad, pecan pie and Arnold Palmers.

On the negative, I discovered that my fire box has broken. Thankfully it's usable for today, but I'm disappointed.

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs

Comments

• Sounds like a pretty good Master's Sunday. Enjoy!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Most people just put the new firebox in the garage and use that broken one for years, most of the time no big deal. Keep cooking.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Lots of people have cracked or broken fire boxes. One of mine fell into 5 pieces a few years ago when I tried to take it out to do a thorough cleaning. The previous year, it had been in 2 pieces. A replacement was sent within the week. During that time, I carefully stacked the pieces together, and continued cooking.

The replacement had a slit cut up the front, evidently to allow the box to expand a bit from heat.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Well at least there's no "ugly" !
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey said:
    Most people just put the new firebox in the garage and use that broken one for years, most of the time no big deal. Keep cooking.
    doing that as we speak. Mine's in 2 pieces but it fits together perfectly so I'm using it. have the warranty box and ring in the garage

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I thought the thread was about me, Cen-Tex and VI.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    henapple said:
    I thought the thread was about me, Cen-Tex and VI.
    Then it definitely would have been titled "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly"
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Thanks @travisstrick the brisket was incredible. I've had it in restaurants a couple of times, but never realized it could be this good. Of course these were eateries in Alabama...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'm glad it worked out for you.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Thanks @travisstrick the brisket was incredible. I've had it in restaurants a couple of times, but never realized it could be this good. Of course these were eateries in Alabama...
    Alabama brisket is about as good as Texas pulled pork in a restaurant. No bueno. The only thing I would trust less is Alabama Tex-Mex :)).

You'll make the best brisket in Alabama when it's all over. Looks great and as you now know, when you do it right, it's special.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    Mexican food in the southeast is meat, cheese on a shell... canned refried beans and 2lbs of sour cream.
  • henapple said:
    Mexican food in the southeast is meat, cheese on a shell... canned refried beans and 2lbs of sour cream.
    Easy there partner. We actually have a lot of good Mexican food around here. Notice I didn't say Tex-mex. 

We do have our share of what you are describing also though...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • henapple
    I'm not saying it's all bad... just not what you get in McAllen TX
  • Are you challenging me do a duel good sir???
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)