Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Possibly a stupid question lol

When cooking on direct heat, how do you get all the lump to burn without going above above a desired temperature? I ask because I want to cook chicken legs and would like a even grid heat dispersion instead of having a hot spot
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited April 2013
    There are no stupid questions. Only things you don't know the answer to. This is always a tough thing to do. It definitely helps that once your lump is lit, you stir it up trying to mix the lit coals throughout.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    You could light your lump in a chimney and then dump it in the firebox and spread it evenly your ash tool or whatever else you might be using to stir the charcoal.  I typically don't cook my chicken over direct heat until it's almost done just to crisp up the skin a little...
  • raising your grid helps even out the hot spots. Just get your fire going completely with the dome open. Then close it, get to your desired temp and cook on a raised grid. It makes a huge difference on direct cooks

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I light in multiple places and do what Cen-Tex said. Not that he is all that smart

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I light in multiple places and do what Cen-Tex said. Not that he is all that smart
    Agreed, except for maybe Cen-Tex not being smart, how do you light your lump?. If in one place, there will be a hot spot for some time. Light in a few places and as noted give it a stir, you should have an even fire. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Thanks for the advice guys!
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.