Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts are doen early..

Plano_JJ
Plano_JJ Posts: 448
Man, Mickey's turbo method sure gets it done. 15 lbs of pork @ 205 in 4-1/2 hrs cooked at 350. Foiled em at 160. How long can I leave them in the cooler?

Comments

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited April 2013
    I have done at least 4 hours without problem. Still been hot when i unwrapped.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    6 hours is my longest. Internal was still above 140.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I've gone 12 but that's not recommended. Still right at 140. 4-6 easy though
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Meathead says... A Cambro (TM) is an indispensable tool to caterers. Made by Cambro Manufacturing, it is an insulated box in which caterers carry hot foods to weddings on the beach and keep them in the food safety zone, above 140°F. But you don't need to buy a restaurant grade Cambro, you probably have one in the garage: A plastic beer cooler. If you don't have one, now's the time to get one. Food safety zone says don't let the meat go below 140 degrees... Or your tummy might hurt!
  • HogHeaven said:
    Meathead says... A Cambro (TM) is an indispensable tool to caterers. Made by Cambro Manufacturing, it is an insulated box in which caterers carry hot foods to weddings on the beach and keep them in the food safety zone, above 140°F. But you don't need to buy a restaurant grade Cambro, you probably have one in the garage: A plastic beer cooler. If you don't have one, now's the time to get one. Food safety zone says don't let the meat go below 140 degrees... Or your tummy might hurt!
    140 is the number but it can be below 140 for 4-5 hours and be totally safe (by any standard). I would go even longer if I needed to but I know where my food has been. You are within the most strict guidelines if you eat the food within 4 hours of going below 140. It will hold over 140 for at least 4 hours in a cooler with towels and you have another 4 hours to safely eat it. You are golden.

• Plano_JJ
    Great thanks. They have been in the cooler for a little over an hour. Its one of them thick walled Igloos. So 140 is the number, huh?
  • Plano_JJ said:
    Great thanks. They have been in the cooler for a little over an hour. Its one of them thick walled Igloos. So 140 is the number, huh?
    140 for 4 hours or less is the strictest rule out there.  It's for nursing homes, schools, commercial kitchens etc. A good rule of thumb to follow but just remember, it takes every health level in mind. If you have some towels, throw them in. it will hold them way over 140 for more than 4 hours. 
  • Plano_JJ
    Cool, I am going to pull them about 6 so I should be golden. Thanks!
  • In addition to a cooler, I went to the dollar store and bought a couple of cheap fleece blankets. Double wrapped in foil, then blanket and into the cooler. After five hours they were still above 150. The blankets still smell great.
  • In addition to a cooler, I went to the dollar store and bought a couple of cheap fleece blankets. Double wrapped in foil, then blanket and into the cooler. After five hours they were still above 150. The blankets still smell great.
    love the handle
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Nothing worst than food poisining... I follow the rules! I'd rather chuck a butt than wipe my butt for hours.