Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Just started first Butt!

One hour into my first pork butt #7lbs

Will update; trying to keep dome temp 275

pork butt.JPG 814.7K
·

Comments

• Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,906
    Looks like your off to a good start! What rub did you use? 

I know its hard (at least it is for me or my friends I'm cooking for), but try not to open the dome for a few hours. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
    ·
  • I used Big Ds.....wanted to keep basic for my first time.

Def will keep it closed for as long as I can resist.

·
  • BuckdodgerBuckdodger Posts: 894
    How much time did you figure per # ? 

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • Hour 4; temp 250ish

·
  • WokOnMediumWokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Prepare for an extraordinary sense of accomplishment.  Way to go...I still get a little giddy when I wake up and walk outside to smell that unmistakable happiness.  It's a great day!
    ·
  • I just love pulled pork and yours looks great so far!  I do mine at 250 dome and start checking the probe at 190 internal.  Haven't done a "turbo" yet but will soon due to all the great posts and feedback posted recently.
    ·
  • Took one last peak for a while at hour 6... looks really good but I don't have much to compare to. Do I really need a few more hours? When does overcooking occur? I know I know I need temp I just don't trust my readings and need to invest in a good thermometer.

·
  • WokOnMediumWokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    My second one has been on for almost 20 hours.  Time is a hard thing to judge.  I pull it at around 198 internal temp.  Looking great!
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Without a good temperature probe your next best method to tell IF(?) it is rready to pull is the bone!  When you can wiggle and pull the bone out -- you are there !!!    Good luck --  outside looks don't tell you much !
    ·
  • Ok so temp is 190; been on for exactly 8hrs

What next? Do I leave on ? Wrap in foil for  couple hers till dinner. Thx in advance

·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,150

Does your thermometer slide in and out of it like butter?  If not, you may need to leave it on a while longer.  Sometimes this doesn't happen until you hit 205 or so.  But that shouldn't take much longer now that you are out of the stall.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • Thanks! I wouldn't say like butter....... will leave on
    ·
  • legend502 said:
    Thanks! I wouldn't say like butter....... will leave on
    it should be like butter. 200-205 is the most common temp. The last 10 degrees feel like trying to fall asleep on Christmas eve when you are 6. it seems to take forever. it's worth the wait though.

Looks great

·