Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Semi-Successful Brisket

To begin, I'm just as happy having two successful overnight cooks!

Early last week I did a 9lb pork butt that was stabilized at 250 near 1am.  Woke up at 8am, pulled around noon at 210 internal for a 12 hour total.  Shredded with my new Bear Paws; don't know how I've lived without these for SO long, made quick work of the butt, gotta love these things!  This one was done as usual, "Lexington" style with a salt only rub and finished with a tomato based vinegar sauce.

I had initially loaded the egg with my first run WGWW up to the fire ring.  After the butt, I had plenty left so I stirred it up to loosen the ashes and fired her back up around 10pm.  I had the plate setter in the oven for a heat soak so I could maintain good smoke for as long as possible.  Around 10:30 I added an entire layer of oak chunks, slid in the heated plate setter, dropped in the drip pan and slid in the s/s grid.  I then added hot water to the drip pan and waited for a stabilized 250.  When ready, I dropped in the 10lb but dusted with salt/pepper, Texas style.  It was stabilized a bit after midnight, so off to bed I went.

I woke up around 5am and just had to check.  It was already at 165 internal and the dome temp hadn't moved an millimeter!  At 8am, it was still at 165 internal so I wrapped in foil and waited her out.  After about 14 hours internal had reached 210 and the probe slid out easily.  I wrapped with another layer of foil, toweled, then placed in the cooler so I could slice away around 5pm.

I need to adjust the rub ratio as it was a tad too peppery but otherwise had a great taste.  It was amazingly tender but too dry, not sure how to correct that but this is just my second shot at brisket, so the learning continues.  Gotta love having 9lbs of pulled pork and 7lbs or so (I was amazed at the shrinkage) of sliced brisket for just 2 people, won't have to cook all week :)

Comments

• Looks GREAT
    Chesapeake, VA
  • you are really close. That looks awesome to me. Might have been in how you cut it. 

Usually when you see the thicker slices like that, it is from the point. Down here the "best brisket in the world" places do the flat thinner and the point slices thicker. Since the meat is much more dense in the flat, thicker slices can feel a little dry. I actually did this to a flat a few months ago and it felt dry to me as well. Too big a bite for that texture of meat. 

I think you are right there. next time, try thinner slices in the flat and thicker on the point if you so choose. may help the mouth feel of the flat.....if that does not sound appetizing, I don't know what does :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thanks Cen-Tex, that's HIGH praise!  I've learned a ton here and love putting it into practice, I know my wife enjoys the results and soon others will too :)

I'll try the slicing recommendations next time.  Any thoughts/comments on temp to pull off the egg, etc?  I tried to pull the probe several times starting at 190 internal but it wasn't an easy pull until 210.

We used a cup of the chopped meat in another dish last night and it was awesome, not dry at all, nearly fall apart fork tender, just good eats!

• Thanks Cen-Tex, that's HIGH praise!  I've learned a ton here and love putting it into practice, I know my wife enjoys the results and soon others will too :)

I'll try the slicing recommendations next time.  Any thoughts/comments on temp to pull off the egg, etc?  I tried to pull the probe several times starting at 190 internal but it wasn't an easy pull until 210.

We used a cup of the chopped meat in another dish last night and it was awesome, not dry at all, nearly fall apart fork tender, just good eats!

I've never had one go to 210 but I'm sure they can go that long. I really think you are right on it. Just need a few more to dial it in but I can tell by the way it looks that you are all over it. Try 200 next time no matter what the probe feels like just to see if that works for you. You are just tweaking now.

Another thought- since it was just you 2 if I read correctly, I'm guessing you started slicing at the thinnest part of the flat and ended up saving the thick part as leftovers. It's only natural to do this but the thin part of the flat is always the driest part of a brisket. I bet the thicker part of your flat was really moist. If you find your thin part of your flat is ever dry, cut off 4-5 inches of it and chop that up and add a little sauce for sammies. Then start slicing from the middle part of the flat which is thicker and more moist. Very few people get the thin parts of flats right, especially in the beginning. 

Or....just do what I do and eat the point and give the flat to kids and the uninitiated :))

Actually flat meat can be awesome but it tends to dry out before the point. I like both equally when done right

• Thanks Sir, appreciate the feedback/comments!

I must have read every brisket thread here several times and watched the Franklin You-Tube videos over and over.

I did notice that a slice off the Point was more moist so I must be into something.  I also noted that Franklin said he'd cut the point off the flat if he was doing competition, so I'm curious about that.  I'll just keep at it and try to nail it down on my 3rd try :)

• The only reason to separate the point and flat during the cook is to get rub all the way around both pieces.That is why he would do it in a comp. he does not do comps but is on that show as a judge.

I would never separate unless i was doing burnt ends. I don't do those but they are really good. 

The best briskets are while briskets cooked in tact. Especially while you are learning.

If you nail it on your 3rd try, I'm going to crawl through my network cable and hunt you down :))

you are really close though. I wish I had joined the forum years ago. I learned all this stuff by making dozens of inedible briskets over years. I never claimed to be a smart guy.