Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just Started A Couple Of Turbo Butts !

Charlie tuna
Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have a good "Webber" friend who underwent some serious surgery this past Thursday and has a house full of family this weekend.  Decided to set up a "pulled pork" sandwich supper for them.  Meat,chipata rolls,slaw and hot sauce!  Just closed the lid on my egg at 9:30 AM after injecting and rubbing the butts.  Three chunks of pecan to get the "smoke" portion of the cook up to 160 degrees internal.  I am shooting for a finish(before resting) time of 4:00 PM.  It can rest in the cooler on my way over to his house.  Foil(throw away) drip catcher.  DigiQ trying to maintain 215 degrees.  Internal meat temperature at start was 52 degrees..  Butts come from a local butcher shop -- fresh - never frozen.

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Did the turbo method on Thursday, Made a Jalapeno-Cilantro Cole Slow also.

After I did the Turbo method I might be done doing the Low and Slows and losing sleep at night. Everyone who ate the Sammies said the Pork melted in their mouths,

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Charlie tuna
    I ain't into real hot "stuff" but that Jalapeno-Cilantro Cole Slaw recipe sound very interesting -- do i have to go to the store AGAIN?
  • Charlie tuna
    Two and a half hours into the smoke part of the turbo and the grid temperature has crept up to 234 (over the setpoint of 215) and the internal butt temperature is 132 heading for a pulling temperature of 160 degrees.  Been off to the store for two hours -- thats what is nice about the turbo cooking!!  Now, after i hit 160 internal, i will wrap them in a few layers of foil, place them back on the grill and bump the grid temperature up to 330.  Then cut the grass.  Should take about three hours to hit the pulling temperature of 210 degrees since it is injected....
  • Charlie, why the higher finish temp because of the injection?  Temp is temp, right?

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    The Slaw was not that hot at all. I just took all the seeds out and chopped up the Jalapeño feet fine, added a little Mayo, apple cider vinegar, cilantro, cabbage and stirred it all up.
    I am not one to measure out things so I just added till I got the taste I was looking for.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Charlie tuna
    I am a true believer of slow cooking because it doesn't evaporate the juices and "juices" is flavor!  Here what i do when i hit the end of the turbo cook's "smoke portion".  If i have plenty of time, like ten hours before my sevring time, i might not increase the cooking temperature at that point, but just let it ride.  I allow the wrapped butts to set for about a half hour at the new higher temperature.  I then wait til the internal temperature clicks up one degree, and i mark the time on my watch's seconf hand, and again when it increases to the next degree!  This tells me how long it will take to increase one degree.  Since there is no stall, you can multiply the time by the degrees necessary to reach your finish temperature (mine is 210 degrees) and this will tell you how much longer you need to cook.  You can increase or decrease the grid temperature to finish when you want.  I just checked mine cooking at 330 degrees, and my internal is 170 degrees.  So i need 40 degrees to hit 210.  It is taking  2 1/2 minutes to increase one degree, so 2 1/2 X 40 = 100 minutes.  So in an hour and 40 minutes , my butts will be a few degrees one way or another from 210 degrees!!  If i wanted to finish earlier, i might bump the cooking temperature up another 20 or 30 degrees -- then "re-time it...  The present finish time will work fine for me.  
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Charlie tuna... I like your timing methodology, brilliant. I'm going to start using that formula on my long low and slow cooks. Thanks.
  • Charlie tuna
    Only problem with using this for a long "low and slow" is the stall is unpredictable.   So that throws the whole thing out the window...  Some butts sail right thru the "stall", while other hang for three hours!!!  
  • HogHeaven
    Yes the stall is the curse of cooking butts... But, once the stall breaks is when to use your method. I wrote it down and I'm going to use it.
  • HogHeaven
    Charlie... I like low and slow cooks. My last cook on butts was my best ever. I put the meat on at 11:00pm, stabilized the dome temp at 240, knowing that the cooking temp was below that and went to bed at midnight. I got up 8 hours later and check the Egg and I had lost some heat the dome temp was down to 210 degrees. My Maverick told me the meat was coming along fine. When it hit the stall I just waited it out... Made NO changes. The fun part of this is that I didn't open the lid to peek once during the whole cook. When my thermometer told me that the meat was 203 degrees, I open the lid for the first time since 11:00pm the night before. It was a 16 hour cook.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Man that looks good.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Charlie tuna
    As i said before, i originally cooked many butts with the low and slow method of 16 to 23 hour overnight cooks, probably the entire first year of my egging.  I loved the results and would brag to my hungry friends on how long i had to cook.  It was through a fishing forum that someone explained that he could produce the same results on an old R2D2 upright smoker.  Thing was so old the legs were rusted off and it was setting on two concrete blocks!  I followed this guy's instructions and i found out he was correct.  Now i will admit there is less bark on the turbo, butt three times the juice.  On my original "low an slow" cooks, the butts would be so tender, i would have to use two spatchulas to pick the butt off the grill in one piece!  Like picking up a chunk of jello!!  The big advantage to me is no overnight cooks.  The second advantage is the liquid flavor that is collected in the foiled container.  The turbo cook is totally predictable -- no "one" to "three" hour "stall"???  An example was yesterday's two turbo butt cook i started at 9:30 AM.  Injected and rubbed the butt, loaded and lit my egg, stabilized and put the butts on the grill.  Turned my back on the egg and KNEW i had a three hour "smoke" period before i was needed back at the egg.  Went into town and did some shopping - worry free.  Came home ,ate lunch, and went out to the egg figuring it would be close to the next phase -- wrapping at 160 internal degrees!  Found out the internal was at 164 degrees - no big deal - wrapped and re-loaded the butts back on the egg for the finish part of the turbo.  Wanted the cook to end around 5:00 PM.  So i bumped my grid temperature up to 330 degrees and watched it for thirty minutes to calculate the finish time and it was very close.  Turned my back and cut the lawn, trimmed and blew off the walks.  Came back to the egg at 4:45 PM and the internal was at 207 degrees.  By the time i got my cooler setup, the butts were done cooking at 210 degrees and ready for their rest period.   Thats a whole lot less stressful that ANY "low and slow".  And the butts are sealed in a foil container, submerged 3/4, in pure liquid flavor.  This liquid goes back into the pulled pork as it is being shredded...    Eight total hours of "predictable" cooking and less than two hours of attention -----  in the cooler and ready to eat !!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You make it look easy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Charlie tuna
    The hardest part is loading the beer into the outdoor refrigerator !! ;)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    The hardest part is loading the beer into the outdoor refrigerator !! ;)
    Yes.  You wouldn't want anyone to know that you actually have plenty of time to walk all the way to the indoor refrigerator for a beer.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX