Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low & Slow Full Chuck Roast without braising?

Options
jdholman
jdholman Posts: 5

Hi Gang:

I ordered a full square cut beef chuck roast of about 10 lbs to cook this weekend. I'm looking to cook it like I do a pork butt: Dry rub, cook at 225* for about 1.25 hours per lb to an internal temp of 200* then wrap in foil, rest it for an hour, then pull/shred. I would like to do the beef chuck roast the same way. I've been Egging since 1999, so this isn't my first rodeo, but I don't cook chuck on the Egg very often.

I don't want to go the route of cooking it at 225* until an internal temp of 160* is reached, then putting on a bed of veggies, foiling, etc. This looks delicious, but is more of a braise than I want to do.

My question is if I can cook a beef chuck roast as if it was a pork butt. Can I take it to 200* internal and expect it to pull shred? My thoughts are that while a chuck roast has a lot of connective tissue which will turn into deliciousness, there isn't as much marbling (at the choice grade anyway) to stay moist, hence why a lot of people braise.

Has anyone had good results cooking a chuck roast low and slow without braising and then pulling?

Comments

• Rebellab
    Rebellab Posts: 43
    Options
    I did a 3.5# chuck last weekend. It was marbled very well, as it was not store purchased. I did it at 275 for about 6 hours and internal of 205. It pulled pretty well, I should have left it on longer. I also saved the pan drippings. Skimmed some of the fat off of it and added it in.
    LBGE South Dakota
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited April 2013
    Options
    As a big butt fan I've made several runs at Costco chucks now and always seem to end up thinking maybe it would have pulled better with another five degrees. I'm at 215F now, which is what the one was at that I succulently pulled yesterday (following the braise you mention). So would target 215F IT for better pull.
  • jdholman
    Options
    So what egg temperature are you cooking the chuck at?  I do my briskets at 275*, so I'll probably try that unless you're having good results at a different temperature.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I'm not a braise guy either but I can't get chuckies to behave without it. I've made 3 bad ones with no braise and 0 bad ones with it. I'm sold on the braise for chuckies

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jdholman
    Options
    I might end up treating it as one giant burn end.  Take it to 205  - 215 IT, shred as best I can, and then put it in a dutch oven and out it back on a 225* egg and simmer with some BBQ sauce and a bit of beef broth to put the moisture back in.  Simmer uncovered for an hour to 2 hours.

What do you think?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    jdholman said:
    I might end up treating it as one giant burn end.  Take it to 205  - 215 IT, shred as best I can, and then put it in a dutch oven and out it back on a 225* egg and simmer with some BBQ sauce and a bit of beef broth to put the moisture back in.  Simmer uncovered for an hour to 2 hours.

What do you think?
    that sounds really good. Do that

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited April 2013
    Options
    jdholman said:

Has anyone had good results cooking a chuck roast low and slow without braising and then pulling?

I've never braised.  I do them all the time and always cook them just like pork butt, except take them a little higher (205-215).  I cook them at 250 grid level (about 275 dome temp). I don't inject, baste or open the lid until it reaches at least 200 internal.  I've tried to do them turbo style (350 or so) and they don't turn out as well.  Also, the fattier the better.  I usually get my clods from the local grocery store and they always pull beautifully.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options