Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New dome design...

Options
Eggcelsior
Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone else seen the new multi-piece dome?

I surely hope not. No pics of the act because I don't want it to have happened.

I was doing a kickass gasket replacement that would keep me from ever needing to do it again. Here is a sneak peek:

As I was realigning the dome, I must have have not tightened the band enough because I lifted it up and the dome kept going. I didn't even look twice. I went inside and sat down with a beer to reflect on the last year with my medium. So much for the pork butt tomorrow. Sorry @caliking, no pork bao tomorrow.

Called the dealer. New dome is 146 bucks and won't be here for at least 1-2 weeks. I have a bastard Costco egg without warranty but they will take it back(Good guy Costco). New medium is 629 and 659 at 2 nearest dealers. I decided to check in on the large so I can be as cool as the rest of you AR/swing grate crowd. 799 and 849 for egg, nest, and plate setter. I was never much of a math nut but it seems like I can get a new large for about the same price as fixing mine(mine was 660 invested for compared parts of deal). There seems to be a silver lining to this. The 2 fests near me(5/4 in Waldorf and 6/1 @ Dizzy Pig) are selling the demo larges for 750. Not much of a deal worth waiting for. SWMBO didn't even want to talk to me after I told her. Later, I presented the options in such a way that she said "you might as well get the large". Did I mention silver lining?

In terms of my sweet gasket ring, I'll need to see about doing it again with whatever I get and I will discuss it then.

It will be a somber weekend. At least my daughter kept me happy. She is 14 months and is now pointing to my pregnant wife's abdomen saying "bay... be". Good stuff.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    No Bueno. Centex no likey at all. :-&
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    I think this is your first post I have not laughed at! On the bright side good one on swinging a large!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Say it ain't so coach X_X
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    It sucks sucks effing sucks.

I was really excited about this gasket ring. I am going to do it on the new one when the factory one goes.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    At least you are aloud a new egg and the daughter pointing and saying baby is cute
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    That picture hurts to look at! Damn that sucks.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    My heart and stomach just dropped seeing that, I feel for you. i hope you get up and running soon, going to miss your posts for awhile i guess. Good luck on the L though...
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    That sucks about your dome. Hope it all works out for you on a LBGE.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    And now I will go without a gasket for much longer because of your loss. Even though I have almost everything I need to replace it.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm so sorry.  Heck, there's nothing I can say other than that.  This is like a virus.  You, TJ, Hap and Cen-Tex last year all caught it!  I gotta sell my large quick!  I'll have I.T. list it tomorrow. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Egg virus? I think you're right. Some sort of avian flu is going around eggdom.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2013
    Options
    My deepest sympathies. I'll pour one out for your egg. I think I would still be unconscious if that had happened to me.

Glad to know that there is a silver lining to your tale!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JMSetzler
    JMSetzler Posts: 75
    Options
    Ugh.. that really hurts to look at.  I have seen photos of broken ceramics and it makes my stomach cringe each time.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Well, folks, there is the downside to the ceramic grill configuration. It can freakin' break. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how'd did you like the play?

Main mitigation is to park your Egg in a table it appears. Avoid the nest and keep from moving it around anymore than is absolutely necessary. 

Now, BGE needs to think about this a little, too. Have they started shipping Eggs with good gaskets on them yet? We got ours a year and a half ago and fried the gasket on the first pizza cook (gasp!). Found out it was expected. Then read the many entries on the BGE blog here about others doing the same. A percentage of those end up with cracked dome and unhappy customer. Whiskey tango BGE.

Still. It's all worth the risk. Ain't it?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Damn, that really sucks.  Always get nauseous viewing these pics.

Like the way you think Eggcelsior, finding an angle to turn a negative into a posititve.   ;)

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Sorry for your loss @eggcelsior after seeing your pic I went out and hugged my egg.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    We have told you: You don't need no stinking gasket (it is a fact that Mother Egg knows 30% of the people putting on gaskets will do just what you do and have to buy a new lid or Egg, why do you think they make such lousy gaskets). The people at Egg aren't that dumb, no way anyone would make a gasket that sucks that bad. See you just go around their plot by not putting on a new gasket.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @Eggcelsior-sorry about the accident but props for flipping the solution to the LBGE. A risk we all take with ceramics.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    X_X say it ain't so! :((

XLBGE 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    "Eggcelsior" - Thanks for posting -- just like the "table fire" a couple of weeks ago -- this is a lesson to be learnt!!  We all learn new recipes and ways to cook on this forum, but we can also learn other important things as well.  This photo will stick in my mine ANYTIME i deal with loosening the bolts on my dome!!  Thanks again for posting...
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Wow that sucks... Make me want go outside and hug my BGE 8->
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    RIP
    Dunedin, FL
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @Eggcelsior Never seen the Egg with the "Turbo Fan"...convection fan nice. Is that Egg primarily for Mickeys Turbo Butts. I like the New Grill Grates also. Looks better than ManGrates. Where do I purchase this new style BGE?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Why not get the dome for $146? Have your medium and pick up a large as the second egg. To me, it is a no brainer to have a medium egg for $146, the sunk costs are exactly that, sunk.
    Too bad, take care !
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    Dude...So sorry for you
    I better have a drink
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Man that sucks!  I am putting a Rutland on my small today so your misfortune has reminded me to be extra careful.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    Don't go all Humpty Dumpty on your egg. Just $150 and you're back in business!
    Gittin' there...
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    That picture is way to graphic. Ouch, not a good day at all. Sorry to see that.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Too bad it didn't happen during a cook - at least then you could say it died doing what it loved. I'll hold my egg a little closer tonight thanks to this story (sniff).