Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where Oh Where?

Anthony Up North
Anthony Up North Posts: 205
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Three quick questions about wood.[p]Where do you get some of these exotic woods - pecan, guava and even cherry?[p]Most places I've been carry only chips. Some time ago someone suggested it is better to use chunks (2" diameter - about 3" long) since they burn longer. Where would I get these exotic chunks.[p]Finally, up North here we have many maple. Does anyone use green maple for smoke? What effect?[p]Thanks
Anthony

Comments

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Anthony Up North,
    I will trade you my Florida scrub pine for your Minnesota maple. Our pine has this aeromatic smell that just lights up a grill and the taste is just out of this world.
    Oppossum on a stick in JJ's rub......ummmmmmmm
    So you want to trade?
    Bob[p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Anthony Up North,[p]Most of these woods are fairly easy to come by. You'll be surprised at what you can find at Walmart. Also, places that carry higher end grills and patio furniture will generally have most of what you are looking for as does Williams Sonoma stores.[p]Guava wood is the exception. Once upon a time we had a forum member (see the visitor profile for "guavawood") who owned a guava farm in Hawaii and sold his chips/chunks via mail order. No one has heard from him in a long long time.[p]I'm down to my last couple of pounds of guava and am getting worried. It's distinct and unique and blends well with everything.[p]K~G
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Chief,
    We have 0ppossums,you have Oppossums on the half shell.
    YB

• Chief
    YB,
    Never seen one in this neck of the woods....but I'm sure they are out there. Ya ever eat one?
    Wonder what it would taste like on Humpty

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Chief,[p]'possum tastes like chicken...

• Chief
    Sundown,
    Yall got possums up there where you are? Didn't think possum went above the Mason-Dixon. Our possums don't taste like chicken...can't rightly describe the taste...little on the oil side...but durn good with hedgehog and buzzard eggs. And, a glass of cold buttermilk

• Sundown,
    Yeah, I'll bet! As the old saying goes here in the North country - a good turtle tastes just like chicken. But then so does our racoon! [p]Anthony

• Chief,[p]I'm game. How do we make the deal?[p]Anthony

• Chief
    Anthony Up North,
    We get a boat to go down the "Big River".
    You don't know much about Florida scrub pine do ya?
    It will just make your mouth water,

• Chief,
    And we got them little stripped fellers running across the road. You all heard of the MN Golden Gophers. Well these are the real critters. The miracle of the EGG at 800 degrees may be able to turn them into a cruncy hordourves, appetizers before the main course.[p]I don't think they would go well with buzzard eggs though. We might try pigeon eggs. We have a lot of those. And since they're so small you could eat a dozen without being stuffed. [p]Anthony[p]

• Chief
    Anthony Up North,
    Never seen me one of those gophers...that is what we called a sophistacated rat with heavy fur. We got muskrats. Pigeons..bet TimM or NB would know how to cook them.

• Chief,[p]Nope! Been to 47 of the 50 states. Never been to Florida. Don't know much about it. But your scrub pine seems to be a bit like our "jack pine." Jack is the scrub up here. So I am sure I can gum up my BGE with all kinds of gook given off burning that stuff. We don't even use it in a fire-place. [p][p]

• Chief,[p]We got muskrats too. Gophers are more like a rat. But I think they might taste better, though I never ate a rat. I haven't lived on CBS' Survivor, so will stick to the basics, like turtle, coon, and even squirrls. I've have to check with Time and NB. [p]Anthony

• Chief
    Anthony Up North,
    Yall sure have some mighty good vitals up there. I guess living up north you need all that good fatty foods to keep you warm. Now down here we don't have any coats or things like that and we live off fish. If it swims in that "Big Bathtub" called the Gulf we eat. We can do a about anything to fish....just like Forest Gump's shirmp.
    The best fish you can get here is called scamp. It is a very light, white fish that has a wonderful taste.
    Very hard to find.

• AbqEgg'r
    AbqEgg'r Posts: 91
    Anthony Up North,
    I ordered some last week from BBQ's Galore on line. Buy what you can at Walmart (it's cheaper), but BBQ's Galore has some of the stuff that's harder to find in either chunks or chips.

[ul][li]BBQ's Galore[/ul]
  • Anthony Up North,
    I get a wide assortment of chunks and leftover pieces from cabinet builders and floor people. These are dried pieces, and be sure there is no finish, varnish,etc. on them. Most shops collect 1-2 inch scrap weekly, then throw it out. Offer some Q as a bribe!