Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing pork ribs for 2nd time; first time others will eat

So I live in a cul de sac of 5 houses. At least once every 2-3 months we do a cook out. Almost 3 years now. Tomorrow will be our next one. Decided to do pork ribs bc of sale at local grocery story. Country style, no bones minus small one here and there. Very meaty, very fatty. Best kind of pork. Anyway here is my plan and I want feedback. Soaking over night in allegro hot and spicy. Then in born will rub in Byron's butt rub. And right before comes off using sauce called pee dee river swamp sauce. Self described as combination of vinegar, mustard, and tomato based. It's pretty tasty. Indirect, I'm guessing 275-300? No wood chips, just lump. What temp are they done at? Any feedback?
Boom

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I do country ribs the same as spares and babybacks. 250* until tender. Probably the one cook I don't do to temp

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

Country ribs (which is what I gather you are going to cook) present a different cook challenge than the "normal" ribs-here's a method I have had success with (can't remember the source but not me):

Cook them indirect (250*F) till they are somewhat brown, an hour and a half to two hours.  Wrap them in heavy duty foil, and cook another hour. Open, and test for tenderness. They should be sitting in steaming broth of their own making. If they are starting to fall apart, pour off the juices, and place leave them in the open foil pouch. They will begin to brown up again in the open air.

Take the juices, mix with some BBQ sauce, and cook down.

At the end, remove the meat from the pouch, and brush with the sauce. Give them 10 -15 minutes till the sauce becomes thick, but not burnt.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If they are part shoulder/part loin so I would take them to 140-145. Since you are marinating them that should "brine" them enough to even everything out. I might pound them to 3/4inch to break down the connective tissue/fat.

If they are all shoulder(sounds like they are) cook them like pulled pork/ribs until they start to fall apart - 195ish.

It sounds like you're doing them right seasoning - wise.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Thanks everyone. About to throw on the Egg now
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Ok so not enough room on the grate for all of it. Can they stack on top of each other?
    Boom
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
     "allegro hot and spicy"  When i am cooking for a large group of people i tend to hold off on the "heat" and keep things very mild so they don't get thrown in the garbage.  Women and kids tend to shy away from spicey "STUFF".?
  • FanOfFanboys

"allegro hot and spicy"  When i am cooking for a large group of people i tend to hold off on the "heat" and keep things very mild so they don't get thrown in the garbage.  Women and kids tend to shy away from spicey "STUFF".?

It's a large group and several other dishes being made. And it will also have a rub and then a sauce. So there won't be any real spice to it. But also having lamb, brisket, and beef ribs.
    Boom
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Post some pics when done! Sounds like a great plan

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts