Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Urgent: Help! Egg too hot.

I was planning to do a low and slow for a rack of ribs, but let the egg get away from me while prepping the food.  It's now at 450!  How do I get it back down to 225 quickly... I basically capped the top and closed the vents.

Ribs need to go on in an hour for the party ;(

• I wouldn't totally close the vents. Leave them open a sliver. It will take some time, but the egg will cool.

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,495
    edited April 2013
    If you have ice you can put a pan of it inside but I wouldn't bother. Your fire is not going to produce heat for very long. Temp will come down when you put the ribs on. Watch for flashback when you open it

Caledon, ON

• Ive had the same thing happen. I close vents or leave bottom shut and open top just a sliver and it usually will drop in 20-30 mins where i need it to be.
  • dougbackerdougbacker Posts: 277
    Royal Coachmen does, mite have to have something to prop the top open an inch or 2

South Dakota
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Like Little Steven said, close the vents - put the ribs on, the cold mass of the ribs added to the egg will bring it down quick enough to prevent any burning of the ribs!  Then let it go down below your target temperature before playing with the vents -- i would try to just use the bottm vent to start off with ?? 
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Do @mickeys turbo ribs...
    Lynnwood WA
  • eggheadmdeggheadmd Posts: 11
    Great!  Put 6 racks of ribs (adjustable rig!) and the temp went down to a 100... now adjusting to get it back up to 225.  Will have to remember to watch the fire next time!