Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Injection?

Puttting 2 6 lb butts on tomorrow during Chinese GP for late Sunday lunch. I have never injected. Thinking of injecting with apple juice, cider vinegar & L&P. Then slather in mstard & use a combo of Willies Hog Dust & dizzy Dust. Then throw some peach chunks on. What do you think?

Comments

• Sounds great! Lots of guys inject & lots don't. I don't. I'm sure it will be delicious! Good luck!
    Flint, Michigan
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Peach wood gives a great flavor to boston butt.  My favorite wood to use when I have some available.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I am stuck on injecting about six ounces of Lawry's Teriayki Marinade -- it is thick and needs to be injected in a pattern to cover the entire butt.  I use Bad Bryon's Butt Rub and pecan for the first two + hour of the cook.  Turbo cook -- wrap in foil at 160 internal degrees --  then cook til an internal of 210.  Minimum rest period is one hour..
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited April 2013
    sounds good , when doing butts i inject as well usually with carolina red sauce gives it a nice taste 

Charlie tuna hearing all your talk about turbo butts lately has made me wanna try one i'll be doing a 8 pounder tomorrow . 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Then i'm figuring your overnight cooks are over !! ;)
  • At the price of Brisket I would at least set my clock to get up every three hours JMO

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    I have injected with a mix of Coke or apple juice, apple cider vinegar, and whatever rub is on the outside. I can't say it has helped much or at all, but it doesn't hurt. I might just need to find a better injection recipe. 

Bigphil, what goes in Carolina red sauce? Do you mean a sweet tomato based BBQ sauce?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    For all the injectors out there-wrap the target meat in a saran wrap type material before injecting.  Juice it right thru the wrap-keeps the stray shots under control and makes for easy clean-up.  Not an original thought but worth passing on.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @lousubcap congratulations on your 2500th post!! =D>
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Anybody ever inject with creole butter?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Am I the only one that likes pork butt just slow cooked for hours and tasting the delicious moist meat with the smoky bark mixed in and not injected or smothered in sauce
  • lousubcap
    @Thailandjohn-nope.  I'm in your camp as the pace of the rest of my life seems to be accelerating (even if I can't keep up) so whenever presented with the low&slow cook I'm on it.  And that's pork, ribs, pulled beef, and anything else that enjoys the slow roasted process. I my world it's what happens as the laps of the sun accumulate!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap

@Duganboy-and to you for 1K posts.  Good thing you didn't know about this forum sooner as I would bet that with 15+ years of BGE run-time you are at the top of the experience food chain.  May be time for a celebratory bourbon!

• Wrap with plastic wrap then inject with pineapple juice and cover with rub of choice. Let it sit in fridge overnight. Smoke with a mix of pecan and apple at 250.
  • shtgunal3 said:
    Anybody ever inject with creole butter?

I have had turkeys done that way but I find the flavors a little "fakey" if that makes sense. Just seemed a little unnatural and in your face. I dunno, might just be me but it was overpowering for me
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited April 2013
    <BLOCKQUOTE class=Quote>
    <DIV class=QuoteAuthor><A href="/profile/44610/lousubcap">lousubcap</A> said:</DIV>
    <DIV class=QuoteText>For all the injectors out there-wrap the target meat in a saran wrap type material before injecting.  Juice it right thru the wrap-keeps the stray shots under control and makes for easy clean-up.  Not an original thought but worth passing on.</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>I found something even better than wrapping for no mess and easy clean-up. I use a 13 gallon kitchen plastic trash bag, put the butt in it and reach in and start injecting, all the mess stays inside the bag.<BR>
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.