Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for some good eats in Washington DC

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
edited April 2013 in Off Topic

Going to be travelling out the above mentioned area the week of April 29-May5th for the M3 Rock Festival.

Myself and my buddy are foodies so we are looking for some undeniable eats. We will only have a couple of free days 29,30,1,2 and will be in DC for these days. The festival is on the weekend.  We are going to Fogo De Chao one night for sure.

Any insight on local food trucks to hit, BBQ joints would be appreciated. I have looked online and nothing really stands out so I am looking for some "real" opinions. Thanks.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Are you staying in Columbia(where Merriweather is)? You are evenly split between DC and Baltimore, so you have a lot of options. Since you are foodies, there are some outstanding places in DC and Baltimore, though some are outliers location-wise. The Inn at Little Washington is superlative. It's 90 minutes outside of DC. Woodberry kitchen is northwest of Baltimore and you'll be hitting the beginning of soft-shell crab season. The soft-crab sandwich there is outstanding and everything is sourced locally. There are Pit beef places in Baltimore that you can try but BBQ as a whole can be hit and miss in DC. Rocklands, Urban BBQ Co., Willards in DC. They can do great but can have bad days too. Hill Country BBQ is a spectacle with spectacle prices but they do Texas brisket(post oak, etc.) and even import Kreuz sausage. I think you are paying for the sights as much as the food there. 

Carnivore BBQ seems to be one of the more popular BBQ truck and hangs out by the Naval Observatory. 

Marcel's(belgian), Cava and Zaytinya(greek/mediterranean), Jaleo(spanish), Rasika and Masala Art(indian), Bens Chili Bowl(DC institution), Ray's Hell Burger and Ray's the Steaks, 1789(American), 2 Amy's for pizza.

Capital Grille does a nice job for a steakhouse as does Charlie Palmer's. I would do Rays the Steaks first.

These are places I've either been to or have friends whose palate's I trust have been to.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Hard Times Cafe in Alexandria is a great little chili place too, and you can order a "sampler" with 4 or 5 different kinds of chile on it.  There was a fantastic seafood place in Alexandria on the east end of the main drag but I can't remember the name of it...  :(

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    edited April 2013
    I hear that the Obama house has good food.   =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Obama.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Theres a place just outside of Washington DC about six miles called smoke BBQ avoid it was just at a wedding  outside of dc in Maryland and tried it in a word horrible . i should have asked here like you have but didn't even think of it 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    For BBQ try Red, Hot and Blue on Wilson Blvd in Arlington.  However, as Eggcelsior mentioned above, BBQ in the DC area can be hit or miss.  I suggest going ethnic...try Dukem for Ethiopian food  - U St. corridor, not far from Ben's Chili Bowl.  Salvadoran food (pupusas) at El Rinconcito Cafe, 11th St NW.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Send a message to milesbrown4 he is living there
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    If you are going to be in DC during the day time you have to go to Mangialardo's for a sub. You can't go wrong with the G man on a hard roll. I love eating a sub from here but can't do it as much as I like due to my gluten allergy. This place has been around for Many years and is only open from 730 to 300. If your in the area you will not regret it.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Mickey said:

I live there too, silly.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I live there too, silly.

:-t give me a friggin break, I'm old. All this time I thought you lived just down the road and would not come to our little Fest because VI was there. I feel better about you now. Why don't you like VI?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Up at 430 am and just kit my fire for a 25 lb pulled pork cook. 3 butts and thought I'd check the forum out while the egg sets up.

Thanks for the insight.
    Are food trucks around downtown dc everyday? We are going to be in that area for 3 days. Smithsonian, Lincoln memorial, Arlington national cemetary, oh yeah and some sort of mansion that's all white. Whatever. So going to be spending lots I'd time in the heart if Dc.