Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Anyone used "The Baking Steel?"

13»

Comments

• yumdingeryumdinger Posts: 171

I have a related but unrelated question.  In order to justify this to my better half I want to find a need for my existing 14" BGE cooking stone.  Does anyone know if this stone will work as a bottom level indirect shield for the AR?

What I am really asking is can it replace the stone that comes with the AR?  If I can save a few bucks on that purchase it may make this one that much easier....

Back on topic, regarding Steel diameter, I Egg a fair number of Papa Murphy's pizzas on weeknights for quick family dinners.  The Pappa Murphy pizzas are just slightly bigger than the BGE stone which requires me to roll the edges of the pizza to reduce the diameter. 

Ideally I would like to get a Cooking steel that is slightly bigger.  If I get bigger (say 15" or 16") do I need to worry about potential damage due to the heat being deflected closer to the inside wall of my egg? 

• BigWaderBigWader Posts: 479
    I would be interested.  I have a ship to address in Buffalo so shipping would be easy.

Large BGE

• fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 794
    Talked to Andris this morning from "The Baking Steel" He is going to work out the numbers for the group buy and get back to me by tomorrow.

He mentioned that the Canada orders right now are a $15 flat shipping fee and something about a tariff? He said he is trying to figure out a cheaper way to do it and is putting the full court press on it but said it probably will be a couple of weeks before he knows anything for sure.

The one thing he mentioned was that he would like to get all the orders at once so he can be most efficient with the steel as possible, this ultimately will save us and him money.

Anyone else wanna jump on board?
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,420
    yumdinger said:

I have a related but unrelated question.  In order to justify this to my better half I want to find a need for my existing 14" BGE cooking stone.  Does anyone know if this stone will work as a bottom level indirect shield for the AR?

What I am really asking is can it replace the stone that comes with the AR?  If I can save a few bucks on that purchase it may make this one that much easier....

Back on topic, regarding Steel diameter, I Egg a fair number of Papa Murphy's pizzas on weeknights for quick family dinners.  The Pappa Murphy pizzas are just slightly bigger than the BGE stone which requires me to roll the edges of the pizza to reduce the diameter. 

Ideally I would like to get a Cooking steel that is slightly bigger.  If I get bigger (say 15" or 16") do I need to worry about potential damage due to the heat being deflected closer to the inside wall of my egg? 

I've used the 14" stone on the spider for higher heat indirect cooks like wings.  Gets kind of tough to maintain low and slow temps with it, but I have done it.  

No worries on damage.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "The most important ingredient in cooking is restraint."--Chris Bianco

• yumdingeryumdinger Posts: 171
    edited April 2013

Do you think the difficulty with low and slow is because the air movement is restricted due to larger diameter of the baking stone? or because it is thinner that the PS?

• FockerFocker Posts: 1,420
    edited April 2013

Restriction of air.  It gets pretty tight, like maybe 3/4" gap. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "The most important ingredient in cooking is restraint."--Chris Bianco

• cssmd27cssmd27 Posts: 130
    Why not just put the steel on a raised direct AR setup?  I do that with my stone and have really good results.

I know there are a thousand ways to get the job done, but I wanted to see if there was something fundamental I was missing about the raised direct route?
  • Talked to Andris this morning from "The Baking Steel" He is going to work out the numbers for the group buy and get back to me by tomorrow.

He mentioned that the Canada orders right now are a $15 flat shipping fee and something about a tariff? He said he is trying to figure out a cheaper way to do it and is putting the full court press on it but said it probably will be a couple of weeks before he knows anything for sure.

The one thing he mentioned was that he would like to get all the orders at once so he can be most efficient with the steel as possible, this ultimately will save us and him money.

Anyone else wanna jump on board?
    Thanks for moving this forward Fletcher.  I'm been a bit busy lately.  Is the group order you mention for the regular round or the round with a rim that I had approached him about?  

I haven't heard back from him yet regarding the version with the rim.

• SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 1,405
    Keeping track to see how this goes. Sounds interesting.
    Seattle, WA
  • jimreed777jimreed777 Posts: 264
    edited April 2013
    OK post here if you are interested in the Baking Steel with a rim and I will let Andris know.

Right now we  may have 3:

Jimreed777
    fletcherfam
    youenjoymyegg

Preferred size?  16"?  15"?  
    I don't how about asking a grown man, "How much would you charge for a rim job?"

:-&
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 299
    edited May 2013
    I would love a 16" if it isn't too late, with the lip. 1/2"

"Far better it is to dare mighty things to win glorious triumphs, Even though checkered by failureThan to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer muchbecause they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"Theodore Roosevelt
  • I'm interested in a steel with a rim for my XL