Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FL CWP Came in Today!

Pretty happy that my Concealed Weapons Permit finally came in today; took just shy of the 90 day requirement.

Not really concerned about the house as you have to get past the dog to get to the Mossberg Tactical, which my wife was concerned about it being loaded so I had to explain about that a non-loaded weapon is about as useful as a stick :)

Wasn't really related to the 2nd Amendment but I did want to get in before any laws could possibly change and I discovered that I could use my DD214 (ex-military) in lieu of a weapons class to submit the application.  Now I'll have to go back and peruse the "carry thread" for a good weapon.

Comments

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    hk p30...desbien holster. just hold the p30... you'll be sold. more expensive, yep. badass, yep.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    also... get a pistol belt. a regular belt isn't thick enough...
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    edited April 2013
    http://www.thebeltman.net/

You might think you have a nice stiff belt, until you try one of his horse hide velcro lined belts.
  • JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Congrats... Now you're good for 7 years! I carry a Glock 30. Can't go wrong with anything from them. I use a IWB holster.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I got mine in two weeks in WA no class needed just pay the fee.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited April 2013
    I have one and use the Winchester PDX1 .410 Defender ammo.  Nasty stuff !  But, the Judge is typically not a concealed carry weapon - too large.  I have a Sig Sauer .380 for that.  But, I pity the guy(s) who invade my home.  I also got it for my wife so she wouldn't have to worry so much with aiming.

Here is a target that I shot at 10 feet with the PDX1 round.  The three larger holes near the bullseye are the .45 cal. discs.  The others are the BBs.

It's interesting that  you could use your DD214 instead of a class.  It has no bearing on whether or not you know how to use a handgun or know the laws.  That wouldn't happen in Texas.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Went to the Sheriff's ofc in the county I live in. 3 personal references with name, address and ph #. Social and $ 20.00. Had my permit in less than 1 hr. S&W Bodyguard in 38 Spl. Took a gun safety course with the wife to familiarize HER with the weapon. 5 hr course, 3hrs in class, 2 hrs on the range. 

Opelika, Alabama
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    I have a Canadian Centenial winchester, been in the house for 25 years never had ammo in the house.Was my Dads hunting rifle.Up here we let law enforcement take care of our protection.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• sticks88 said:
    I have a Canadian Centenial winchester, been in the house for 25 years never had ammo in the house.Was my Dads hunting rifle.Up here we let law enforcement take care of our protection.
    In the States, the smart folk reach for a gun when there's a problem and use 911 for the clean-up crew.  The not-so-smart folks figure out that having a gun to protect yourself is a good idea.  Unfortunately for them, they figure that out a little too late.
    Flint, Michigan
  • sticks88
    sticks88 Posts: 94
    Aye, sorry to hear that.

XL BGE and Pellet smoker

• It's interesting that  you could use your DD214 instead of a class.  It has no bearing on whether or not you know how to use a handgun or know the laws.  That wouldn't happen in Texas.
    I agree, doesn't have any bearing on the laws but have to disagree about how to use a handgun, it's been 20+ years but we all had training :)
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    I carry a Springfield XD SC 9mm in a bravo concealment IWB holster with a Streamlight TRL-3 light. LOVE IT.

I also carry a backup mag for the Springfield and Kahr PM9 and backup mag.

My buddy just got be HK listed above and holding it, it is SWEET. haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

Love my buddies S&W Shield and glock is the go to standard for semi auto polymer pistols.

Keep the AR cocked and locked by the bed for home invasions though. Not much beats the ease at which you put the red dot on the bad guy and squeeze off a 62 grn projectile at 3000ish pfs with 29 left after you send the first one his direction.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • henapple
    when I took my ccw test I had mixed emotions. the fact that I had to take a test to carry and that some of the people in the class were going to be able to.
    everyday unqualified people take an easy test to drive a 2000lb death machine

the p30 has interchangeable grip sections allowing for many comfort configurations. the only down side is the 11lb initial trigger... they offer a leo model with a lighter pull. I've gotten used to it and since it has no safety...I kinda like it.
  • Village Idiot
    edited April 2013

I agree, doesn't have any bearing on the laws but have to disagree about how to use a handgun, it's been 20+ years but we all had training :)
    It's been 45 years for me.  All my training was with an M14 rifle.  No handguns.  I guess they didn't trust us draftees with a handgun.  Perhaps if they looked at the date on the DD214, it would be OK. :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I am a vet and retired and having trouble shooting squirrels at fifty feet.  I have requested permission to buy hand granades from my Senator to protect my house -- not to carry!
  • henapple
    sticks88 said:

Aye, sorry to hear that.

?

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    I wish I could get a license to carry. Up north its a lot different cant even target shoot at home if you wanted to but I still have my rifles at least and can shoot them at home. We cant hunt with hand guns either :(
  • henapple
    @CigarSmokinEgger.... get a custom holster. if carrying isn't comfortable you won't do it very long. quality holster and belt makes a world of difference.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited April 2013
    henapple said:
    @CigarSmokinEgger.... get a custom holster. if carrying isn't comfortable you won't do it very long. quality holster and belt makes a world of difference.
    sage advice. I went through many holsters on my Kel Tec pf9 before I found one I liked. I also went through a few pistols until I found the pf9. 

I now carry 100% unless I am on Ft Hood. (its not allowed on army bases)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    I now carry 100% unless I am on Ft Hood. (its not allowed on army bases)
    I can attest to that.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• henapple
    especially in salado... damn crazy people [-X
  • I will be picking up my Glock 19 tomorrow. Being in public safety, I qualified for the Glock discount program. The Glock 19 comes with 3 high cap mags for $437.00 Add $57.00 for night sights. I am posting about that here to let you guys that are in the military or public safety know that this discount program exists and is a fantastic deal. On a side note, if you have never shot with a suppressor, it is a ton of fun!! Got a suppressor for my .22 a couple of months ago and it is very very quiet!! :D
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    What's s high cap mag?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I will be picking up my Glock 19 tomorrow. Being in public safety, I qualified for the Glock discount program. The Glock 19 comes with 3 high cap mags for $437.00 Add $57.00 for night sights. I am posting about that here to let you guys that are in the military or public safety know that this discount program exists and is a fantastic deal. On a side note, if you have never shot with a suppressor, it is a ton of fun!! Got a suppressor for my .22 a couple of months ago and it is very very quiet!! :D

Did they raise the price?  It's been $398 for nearly 10 yrs......plus $57 for the Glock night sights.

If you just ordered, be prepared to wait 3-4 months to get your order.

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited April 2013
    njl said:
    http://www.thebeltman.net/

You might think you have a nice stiff belt, until you try one of his horse hide velcro lined belts.

Killer belts. I just got one of these.

My CHL renewal finally came in Sat. Now I'm good til '18

• I have a great little pocket pistol a Ruger LCP 380 with lazer sites is real mean is a short distance

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
  • Que_n_Brew
    Que_n_Brew Posts: 578

My brother has one of those. It's pretty sweet!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!