Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend cooks

This was a nice start to the weekend. What are you all cookin'?

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Here's what I got on. That big dude in the middle is for the cook!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Forgot to take pics but it was very good.  Put peppers, onions and mushrooms in a grill basket along with thick pork chops with Butt Rub.  Served with brown rice and a Corona.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• I'm gonna try something different on Sunday.  I'll try my hand at @Zippylip 's gyros using a vertical spit.  It looks impressive and it might be a candidate for the Owosso cook.  I have the hardware to make the spit and I'll post the results.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Off to a great start indeed Owossoegger!  =D>

I loaded up the small egg with some sliders and used Hawaiian Rolls for the buns. 

@Fred19Flintstone take a look at my Tacos al pastor post. I used some of Zippylip's ideas and had great success with a vertical spit. I was going to do it for Salado but I didn't make it down. I'm going to give my shot a Gyros sometime when the weather is nice and we can have a backyard party. I'll be interested to see how yours turns out. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Corned Beef tomorrow
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • @Solson005 - Man!  It sucks I missed your post, but I'm glad I saw it now!  Great job!  I wish I saw it before I bought all the hardware.  I copied @Zippylip 's design except I used SS.  I also found an eyelet for the top of the spit.  It's cast steel, not SS, but it will work.  I spent about $35, but I have enough to make another spit for another large or my small.  I'm also copying Zippylip's recipe because it looks easy and easy can never be over-rated!  I may go with a pork loin and pound it like you did though.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Solson005
    @Fred19Flinstone thanks it was a fun, eggsperiment to try. its crazy how many things you can miss if you don't check the forum for a couple days.. I will be interested to see how it goes for you!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • FAIL!!!  The spit turned out great, but the meat sucked!  I bought pork shoulder because it was on sale.  I prepared the meat, & put it on the spit and into the egg.  Stupidly, I let it go for 45 minutes and the egg krept up 100 degrees to 500.  Pork shoulder, doing what it likes to do, toughened up and slicing it was near impossible.  The whole thing has turned into a hot mess!  I've decided that the next effort will use pork loin and more supervision! 

Flint, Michigan
  • Solson005
    @Fred19Flintstone that sucks it didn't work out. Keep trying, it will be awesome once you dial in the recipe. I will give it a shot sometime soon and see if I can have some luck. 
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Fred19Flintstone Looking forward to seein this
    vertical spit

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    My favorite cook is Mongolian pork chops or Mongolian chicken thighs... These days. Finding really good recipes is my thing. This one is just my new obsession. I originally found it as a pork chop recipe but... It was so good I decided it would be a great chicken thighs recipe too. Do your tastesbuds a favor and give them this treat... Do the dipping sauce with the pork chops, don't bother with the thighs... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-mongolian-pork-chops/detail.aspx
  • HogHeaven said:
    My favorite cook is Mongolian pork chops or Mongolian chicken thighs... These days. Finding really good recipes is my thing. This one is just my new obsession. I originally found it as a pork chop recipe but... It was so good I decided it would be a great chicken thighs recipe too. Do your tastesbuds a favor and give them this treat... Do the dipping sauce with the pork chops, don't bother with the thighs... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-mongolian-pork-chops/detail.aspx
    Thanks!  We'll have to give this one a go!
    Flint, Michigan