Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Many Cunucks Out There ?

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    gerhardk said:

I don't know if your travels take you to Lake Huron but there is a town called Hensall with a great butcher shop, the owner even shares my first name so he has to be a good guy, anyhow he sells brisket.  I usually call before I go for brisket but as far as I remember they had it each time I wanted it. Their website seems to be down at the moment 

and their phone number is (519) 262-3130.  Their pork products are outstanding and prices aren't way out of whack.

@gerhardk - My parent's live near Hensall.  They love Metzgers but what rubs me the wrong way is that none of the products he makes and has prepackaged have any nutrition info.  The salt in his bacon and chops sometimes is way too high.  Given how busy he is there is no way he could be exempt from the requirements to put nutrition info.  I'm not even sure a small business exemption even exists since 2005.
    Sorry just a rant - I often wondered if his prices were good for primals.  I can get pork but in Toronto sometimes for $1.59/lb at Asian markets... I wonder a guy like Metzgers would be that low.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

@GlennM - You live so close to Cargill/Better Beef in Guelph there has got to be some butcher close by you that can get/carries brisket.  Better Beef is Canada's 3rd largest beef processor so there's lots of cow available in your area.

In my part of Etobicoke we have a couple European Butchers that have briskets in the back (just have to ask) and there is a place called the Butcher Shoppe that cuts for foodservice and you can buy from the guy at the door in the side of building for good prices.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited April 2013
    BigWader said:

The salt in his bacon and chops sometimes is way too high.  Given how busy he is there is no way he could be exempt from the requirements to put nutrition info.  I'm not even sure a small business exemption even exists since 2005.

I think with the nutritional info stuff he would be exempt if he is selling it out of the counter, I guess it is one small concession the CFIA made to small producers.  If he is selling it prepackaged then he is required to make the appropriate declarations.  I think meat is a funny thing though as even in grocery stores there is very little labelling, cheese seems like another food that seem to fly under the radar of the inspection agency.

I did not think that the chops had any salt added.  

I know his prices are slightly higher than grocery stores but his quality is generally much better so it seems like a fair trade.  I might be weird but when buying food the price is not my prime consideration,

Gerhard
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    @canman1976, glad you had a fun visit.  btw, my office is within five-minute walk of Sheraton on Queen St. I sent you a PM that Thursday or Friday, guess you never check your inbox!
    canuckland
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593

@canman1976, glad you had a fun visit.  btw, my office is within five-minute walk of Sheraton on Queen St. I sent you a PM that Thursday or Friday, guess you never check your inbox!
    You know what, I noticed that message about a week ago.I Didn't notice that little red notification its too damn small.It's too bad because we could have used your help or even better hooked up for a swally.
    #-o
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    I see brisket at dipietros in Cambridge but it usually is a small cut and doesn't look like there is enough fat to make it tender. They have great sales on butt. I can quite often get a bone in shoulder for under a buck a pound. I am aware of better beef but they are a wholesaler. I was on holidays in Naples Fl last week and saw some good looking brisket's at Walmart. I don't even want to comment on the price of wine and beer at Walmart! Ordered some dizzy pig today from BBQS.com today. I do go to London about once a week but the BBQ store you guys mentioned is not opened at the start of the week.
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    What I like about the other forum is it allows you to send email to someone instead of PM.
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Seems like this might need a BUMP

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I'm a Texan but have been in Canada for 12+ years now. Live in Aurora, ON (just north of Toronto). Like every year - for the last 12 - I can't wait for the cold weather to be done!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    It's above freezing at least 50% of the time, toughen up and quit complaining ;) Gerhard
  • Little Steven
    Yeah man! Unlike our expensive gas we're not calibrated to 15*C

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Gotta love it here, should be getting my first cut done on the grass....but, still a foot or more of snow on the West 2 acres, and getting another 20cm (8 inchs) tonight and tomorrow. Getting a little tired of this sh*t this year, enough already. But everyone have a good weekend here in Canada, and elsewhere!
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • CANMAN1976

Don't feel all alone albertaegger... back here in NL its the same thing.The grass was green a week ago now its white once again.Oh well.... I won't have my egg for a few more weeks so it kinda isnt too bad for me but I am getting tired of it tho.

>:P

• Little Steven
    Our power has been out since last night. Got extension cords running everywhere but at least I'll see the Mighty Leafs put a bad hurt on les habitants tomorrow

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Our power has been out since last night. Got extension cords running everywhere but at least I'll see the Mighty Leafs put a bad hurt on les habitants tomorrow
    Go Habs! Hope your power stays out for another day or two! We clinched a playoff spot, WooHoo!
    It has been just pounding rain here for the last couple of days, if all this stuff makes it over the mountains, our Alberta brothers might want to build an ark (unless it stays cold of course)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    I just want the Habs to lose the #1 spot in the division so the Leafs get them in the first round. We don't do well against the baby bears

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Toronto has to make it first. Be the first one in how many years. They are probably pretty good golfers though
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Nice thing about cable, I've been watching the Knights and Rangers in OHL playoffs. Love the passion of these "kids" (hard to call a +6 footer a kid)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    meister5 said:
    Hmmm... Not too many Eggheads in Western Canada? I count one in B.C., one in Alberta and just myself in Saskatchewan. So far no-one from Manitoba? Skiddy you made me sad when you said you had cut your grass 5 times already. In 2011 I planted my potatoes on April 11th. This year I still have two feet of snow on my garden. So much for global warming?
    hey i'm from regina sk so that makes 2 of us
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    brentsee said:
    meister5 said:
    Hmmm... Not too many Eggheads in Western Canada? I count one in B.C., one in Alberta and just myself in Saskatchewan. So far no-one from Manitoba? Skiddy you made me sad when you said you had cut your grass 5 times already. In 2011 I planted my potatoes on April 11th. This year I still have two feet of snow on my garden. So much for global warming?
    hey i'm from regina sk so that makes 2 of us

For you southern folks that don't know how to pronounce regina, just think of "the city that rhymes with fun".

• CANMAN1976
    We'll Im the only one in all Atlantic Canada!!! Can't be so???

• Another Canadian in for the count! I'm from Alberta...and the Big Green Egg is smoking Sockeye from Port Alberni, BC...and Lake Trout from Lac La Ronge in Northern Saskatchewan.

Photo was taken about a week ago...and yes, it is still snowing here.

• CANMAN1976

Another Canadian in for the count! I'm from Alberta...and the Big Green Egg is smoking Sockeye from Port Alberni, BC...and Lake Trout from Lac La Ronge in Northern Saskatchewan.

Nice cook....ya don't see that every day!!!!
    All my sockeye comes in a can:(
    Damn atlantic salmon is all farmed out here on the east coast...can't  beat wild sockeye!!!

• AlbertaEgger

Another Canadian in for the count! I'm from Alberta...and the Big Green Egg is smoking Sockeye from Port Alberni, BC...and Lake Trout from Lac La Ronge in Northern Saskatchewan.

Where are you at in Alberta GreenEggGal?
  • Little Steven
    Doug in Eggmonton is a really good guy. He was very active on the other forum but seems to have slowed down. I have his e-mail and stuff. Great cook and an iron chef champ

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Center of Calgary :)

• Thanks Little Steven...I've met many amazing Eggmontonians...and continue to learn a lot from them. Great attitude, great flavours!  (the city I reside in may deport me for this posting)
  • AlbertaEgger

Thanks Little Steven...I've met many amazing Eggmontonians...and continue to learn a lot from them. Great attitude, great flavours!  (the city I reside in may deport me for this posting)

Wow! Are you sure you are from Calgary, not to often, if ever you hear that, I am just outside Edmonton (20 min), good to hear, and I feel the same about a select few I know from down there. I am there often for meetings though, good city. 
  • Little Steven
    They really need to get a hockey team though. Hahaha, from a torontonian

Steve 

Caledon, ON