Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OVAL GRID?

Options

Hey all, i'm looking for some feedback from AR owners that have the oval grid for there extender.Do you feel its stable enough? I have read in a older post that someone found it a little unstable as its just sitting atop the rig.Would the sliding D grid be more balanced/stable and less likly to fall off the extender?

Im about to pull the trigger and there seems to be alot more oval grids than sliding D grids,other than being able to switch around the ovals are there any other advantages to the oval grid?

thanks.

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

No problem at all.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options

So mickey thanks for the pic but why did you choose the d grid over the oval for atop the rig?

Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I went with both. I like the idea of the D grid when I need easy access to both levels. I originally had just one oval and used my stock grid, but that was very frustrating and almost disastrous at times. I wanted The D so I could safely slide back if I had proteins close to the flame, and veggies or something up top. I also wanted a second oval so I could cook the same things (butts, wings, ribs) at the same time and still be able to rotate them around for even cooking without having to juggle the food on plates or whatever leaving the lid open too long. Now, open, swap grid placements, close and get back to my adult beverage.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Like Greeno55 I have both. I like it best for doing two spatchcocked chickens or ribs and two pizzas at once. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Not trying to steal this thread but, I too have been debating on which AR. Anyone have any opinions on customer combo VS oval combo?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Totally stable. Works like a champ
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • frankie482
    frankie482 Posts: 263
    Options

Hey all, i'm looking for some feedback from AR owners that have the oval grid for there extender.Do you feel its stable enough? I have read in a older post that someone found it a little unstable as its just sitting atop the rig.Would the sliding D grid be more balanced/stable and less likly to fall off the extender?

Im about to pull the trigger and there seems to be alot more oval grids than sliding D grids,other than being able to switch around the ovals are there any other advantages to the oval grid?

thanks.

The sliding D grid is relatively new. I have the oval grid extender and find it to be a bit unstable. I've never had it fall off, but it makes be nervous. If I had the choice of the D grid vs the oval extender, I would have chosen the D grid. It looks more stable. All that being said, I don't have both to compare.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Totally stable. Works like a champ
    Yep
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Never had a problem with mine.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Here is my oval grid this morning. 10lb butt on oval and ribs on top. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.