Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My 1st Cooks on the LBGE

Options

Bacon wrapped Pork Loin and four door county cherry marinated pork tenderloins.  Everything was done indirect at 240.  Loin took about 5 hours and the tenderloins took about 2 hours. Both were excellent!  My young kids aren't big meat eaters and they both gobbled up the tenderloin.  I don't know if I would wrap the loin in bacon again because it didn't seem to add much (other than the fact that the bacon tasted great!)

I tried the TRex method on the beef tenderloins.  (Sorry-no post cook pics) SWMBO and I both like medium rare.  I overcooked these to medium to medium well which didn't make me happy.  The butcher also screwed me up by butterflying the steaks so I had to try to hold them together with toothpicks.

I'm having a blast using this thing!  I picked up some chickens and butts to try out next and hope to try the CyberQ on the butts.

XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Way to jump right in! Welcome aboard

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Welcome, very ambitious first cook and you nailed it!

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options
    I also burnt the hell out of my asparagas.  Any recommendations for how long you would cook veggies like this.  Everything I read seemed to indicate that it would take quite a while.  Any tips on times would be much appreciated!
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Congrats on the new egg, you off to a great start.  I cook asparagus raised direct @ 350-400 till its tender, doesn't take long and is easy to over cook.  Have fun!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I cook similar to yellow dog. 
    I also put a piece of foil over the tips after a couple minutes to prevent burning.  
    Not individually, I put bamboo skewers through about a dozen, with spaces and cover. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options
    Thanks.  I like the foil idea to keep the tips nice!
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Nice looking food.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Off and running with your first couple of cooks!  =D> 

Welcome to the obsession! 

For asparagus I usually throw it on as the meat is resting and just do it for 4-5 mins then flip for another 4 mins or so. it depends on how close to the fire you are and how hot. I also got these grill clips for Christmas and they work great as holders (not that there is anything wrong with bacon 
    =P~)  You can always pick one and try it and if it isn't done yet you can throw them back on. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @Solson005... must be pretty windy where you are if you need something to keep the asparagus in place  ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @TexanOfTheNorth I like flipping 4 times instead of 40.. :D

I do live "where the wind comes sweeping down the plains"..
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Eggheaderic
    Options
    Souls on where do you get the cool egg handles from?
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Awesome looks good

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    @Eggheaderic A guy up in Canada makes them, he does a awesome job and is very easy to work with. http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com/?m=1