Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Truly jumbo shrimp

jlsmjlsm Posts: 843
My stepson just got accepted to a master's program with a full ride and a living stipend! He will be staying in town for two more years, and we're thrilled. (He has been the recipient of many egg cooks, and the thought of him leaving made me sad on many accounts.) He loves seafood, so I thought I would get some 3 count shrimp and some rib eyes. I've wrapped those giant shrimp in basil and bacon before, but I thought I might want to so something a little different. Any ideas? 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
·

Comments

• brycosbrycos Posts: 137
    1/3 lb shrimp?  Wow!
    ·
  • Mike8itMike8it Posts: 468
    Stuff them with some lump crabmeat.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,155
    Hell,  just stuff them with a pig...... WOW..... Need some pics
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    I'd treat them like lobsters.  Grill them and serve with clarified butter.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • brycosbrycos Posts: 137
    all good calls guys.  My question is : is it still a "shrimp" if it's 1/3 lb?
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Biggest shrimp i have ever seen were "U-8" or eight to a pound.  These must be fresh water shrimp?
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited April 2013
    Biggest shrimp i have ever seen were "U-8" or eight to a pound.  These must be fresh water shrimp?
    They're probably the Asian Tiger Shrimp.  They have invaded the Gulf and are a threat to the native shrimp.  Supposedly, they are tasty, though.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·

Or they came for around the nuke plant

%-(
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    They're probably the Asian Tiger Shrimp.  They have invaded the Gulf and are a threat to the native shrimp.  Supposedly, they are tasty, though.

Maybe if we can get enough Eggheads on here we can win the battle and eat them all out of the Gulf and send them back.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,433
    To me the words jumbo and shrimp don't belong together.  Kind of like almost perfect, giant dwarf or feminine logic. :D

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 603
    edited April 2013
    Hey @Mickey. How about the Salado reciepe. I bet that would rock. Can someone post it that if that is a good idea that is.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,768
    BOWHUNR said:
    To me the words jumbo and shrimp don't belong together.  Kind of like almost perfect, giant dwarf or feminine logic. :D

Mike
    or honest politician....

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,814

As has been already mentioned , crab stuffing.  Here are some U-5's I did a while back wrapped in bacon:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=643313&catid=1

·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 843
    Well guys, they did turn out to be U5s; a year ago, I got bigger ones, but these were the largest I could find today: 

Decided to go with Emeril's crab stuffing, though I think I'll skip the bacon  because I also got this: 

First time I've cooked a 2-inch steak. Guess I'll be trying out the reverse sear. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    OK, can't call them shrimp. My mouth is watering.  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
    six_egg said:
    Hey @Mickey. How about the Salado reciepe. I bet that would rock. Can someone post it that if that is a good idea that is.
    Not sure of the one you are talking about. But be glad to post when you say.

·
  • Griffin said:
    BOWHUNR said:

Mike
    or honest politician....
    Oxymorons.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Oxymorons.
    What did you just call me ?   :-w

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,996
    I say that when people ask me if I used bleach on my colors.

No, Oxy...moron
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851

Oxymorons.
    What did you just call me ?   :-w
    Jeez, there he goes again.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,980
    Mickey said:

u
    six_egg said:

Not sure of the one you are talking about. But be glad to post when you say.
    probably @foghorn...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,250
    edited April 2013

That would take the pineapplebaconshrimp recipe to a whole new scale - but I bet it could be done.

It might even solve the problem that some have identified of having the shrimp overcooked relative to the bacon.  Those shrimp would take a whole piece of bacon each and it would probably be a challenge to eat, but I'm sure it could be done if one had the will to do it.

Here is the link to the thread with the recipe for smaller shrimp.  If you decide to do it, please let us know what modifications you make and how it worked out.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149483/pineapple-bacon-shrimp-with-raspberry-chipotle-bbq-sauce-recipe-from-salado/p1

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
    edited April 2013
    People are always getting me and foghorn mixed up. The easy way to remember: I am 3 1/2 feet shorter and better looking. Also I have not seen forhorn with a standard poodle.

·
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 2,250
    Mickey said:
    People are always getting me and foghorn mixed up. The easy way to remember: I am 3 1/2 feet shorter and better looking. Also I have not seen forhorn with a standard poodle.

It's all true.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 603
    edited April 2013
    Thank you henaple. Yes that is what I meant. Thank you too foghorn. That recipe is awesome. Oh and sorry Mickey won't happen again sir.

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·