Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sous Vide Short Rib Question...

JayHawkEyeJayHawkEye Posts: 191
Should I season the short ribs at all before putting them in the bath, or should I wait til just before the sear? Consequently, is it the same for all cuts of meat or do different things react better/worse to pre-seasoning? Thanks!
"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
·

Comments

• Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 563
    I have seen people debate this, so could try it both ways this time.  I do know not to add fat (butter, oil, etc) to pouch since it can suck out flavor from meat.
    ·
  • JayHawkEyeJayHawkEye Posts: 191
    Do they need to be thawed or can they be put in frozen? I just got my SideKic from @double in the mail and I want to use it NOW!
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,091
    I've heard you can cook from frozen. There is no safety reason you can't. Watch your seasoning though cause the flavour of the spices stays intense. Use a lot less than you would for other cooking methods.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    You want to cook those short ribs for 72 hrs the last ones I did for 48 and it wasn't enough. Keep an eye on the water level. I have never cooked from frozen.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • beteezbeteez Posts: 318
    Google Momofuku short ribs for the ultimate s/v short rib.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,091
    double said:
    You want to cook those short ribs for 72 hrs the last ones I did for 48 and it wasn't enough. Keep an eye on the water level. I have never cooked from frozen.

Double,

You could slow cook them on the egg for three or four hours after a shorter sous vide couldn't you?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    I guess I haven't tried that. @nolaegghead?
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    I just put them in the water in-seasoned. They were frozen when put in. I dont think that should matter too much on a 72 hour-ish cook. Plan to sear at the end. Will post an after cooking segment. Thanks, all!
    ·
    What is the optimal temp for these guys for the next 3 days?
    ·