Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Sous Vide Short Rib Question...

JayHawkEyeJayHawkEye Posts: 191
Should I season the short ribs at all before putting them in the bath, or should I wait til just before the sear? Consequently, is it the same for all cuts of meat or do different things react better/worse to pre-seasoning? Thanks!
"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
·

Comments

• Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 567
    I have seen people debate this, so could try it both ways this time.  I do know not to add fat (butter, oil, etc) to pouch since it can suck out flavor from meat.
    ·
  • JayHawkEyeJayHawkEye Posts: 191
    Do they need to be thawed or can they be put in frozen? I just got my SideKic from @double in the mail and I want to use it NOW!
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,321
    I've heard you can cook from frozen. There is no safety reason you can't. Watch your seasoning though cause the flavour of the spices stays intense. Use a lot less than you would for other cooking methods.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    You want to cook those short ribs for 72 hrs the last ones I did for 48 and it wasn't enough. Keep an eye on the water level. I have never cooked from frozen.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • beteezbeteez Posts: 376
    Google Momofuku short ribs for the ultimate s/v short rib.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,321
    double said:
    You want to cook those short ribs for 72 hrs the last ones I did for 48 and it wasn't enough. Keep an eye on the water level. I have never cooked from frozen.

Double,

You could slow cook them on the egg for three or four hours after a shorter sous vide couldn't you?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    I guess I haven't tried that. @nolaegghead?
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    I just put them in the water in-seasoned. They were frozen when put in. I dont think that should matter too much on a 72 hour-ish cook. Plan to sear at the end. Will post an after cooking segment. Thanks, all!
    ·
    What is the optimal temp for these guys for the next 3 days?
    ·