Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seed sewing, gardening

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    We had a problem with squirrels ... Now they know the sound of a BB gun...
    Lynnwood WA
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    We have lots of rabbits, a useless dog, and 3 feet of fence around the perimeter of the raised beds
    Mamaroneck
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Ugh I forgot about the neighbors dumb dog. That will have to be addressed.

XLBGE 
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    edited April 2013
    Electric fences work pretty good at keeping things out you don't want there
  • scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    Did you plant the sunflower seeds in the starters?  I wouldn't do that. They don't transplant well.
  • MrCookingNurse
    scottc454 said:

Did you plant the sunflower seeds in the starters?  I wouldn't do that. They don't transplant well.

Yes I did. Uh oh.

I have marked off a 10' x 10' square in my backyard and sprayed it with weed/grass killer. I plan on making three rectangular 2' x 8' beds 18'' deep. Spacing them with walkways in between them. Going to fill with top soil after lining wih plastic to keep weeds from growing too fast.

If the seedlings don't sprout, a local nursery has squash, zucchini, tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, eggplant, and pepper plants for sale.

Plan on outlining the whole garden with a 3-4' high wire fence for protection. Hopefully everything will be planted over next two weekedns

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    No garden. These things eat all. This is inches from the house on a 15 foot high ledge. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MrCookingNurse
    @mickey

She would eat well to! Got a bow??

XLBGE 
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    @mickey She would eat well to! Got a bow??
    Obama banned them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705

Obama banned them.
    Yep, and all the stores are out of arrows!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Village Idiot
    I thought he was just going to restrict it to a maximum of two arrows in a quiver, but NO !

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• MrCookingNurse
    Ha wow.

Here are the plans.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013
    @<A class=Username href="http://eggheadforum.com/profile/54619/MrCookingNurse"><STRONG><FONT color=#00573d size=3>MrCookingNurse</FONT></STRONG></A>  are you sure that is not from the hospital on the latest flu strain?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    edited April 2013
    Good plan, but your plants are too close together.  Tomatoes grow large (especially indeterminates) and should be at least 30" apart (preferably 3').  Also, I'd give peppers at least 2'.

It is very common for people to plant too close together, because the little seedlings are tiny.  But, they grow.  Having plants too close invites disease and doesn't let them reach their full potential.

I just took a picture in my garden of a serrano plant (26") and a tomato plant (32").  The tomato plant is not full grown yet.

Just my 2¢.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Seed germination rate depends on soil temperature. While I would suppose you will be starting next to a window, hopefully the soil will get warmed up above room temperature

The seedlings like lots of light. If direct sunlight is not on the starts long enough, the seedlings will become spindly. If that starts happening, add a grow light.

My garden is roughly 10' x 15', divided into quarters. I find that a whole quarter can be covered by a single hill of squash. Many vines can be trained up a trellis, as can the tomatoes, but then they may end up shading each other. You might want to buy a few containers for some of your plants, assuming you have room for those. Currently, I have 6 small planters that I use for plants that like the higher soil heat that planters  (and raised beds) provide.

Our cat died 2 years ago. Prior to that I did not have any animal problems. Last year I thought it was the semi-drought condition that was wiping out lots of my seedlings. That was what I thought till the morning I found the rabbit wiping out my third planting of beets. This year I will be getting some fencing.

Good luck. Food fresh from the garden can't be beat.
  • MrCookingNurse
    That's what I needs guys!
    Thanks guys. Pictures helps a lot.
    Awesome ill work on spacing and see what I can come up with.

@gdenby
    @villiage idiot

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    just wondering if this works

XLBGE 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    growing up we staked tomatoe plants...I make cages out of fence... stronger.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Village Idiot
    @mrcookingNurse

MUCH better. My only concern would be your zucchini.  Here is a picture of my garden last year.  The closest plant is zucchini.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    You can grow things up too like zuchinni, cucumbers, pumpkins. You have to build trellises for them to climb but it will save on some of you footprint. Search vertical gardening and you will get some ideas there how to pack more into a small area
  • MrCookingNurse
    Man, I'm far from done planning! Y'all are giving me some crazy ideas and things I haven't thought about

XLBGE 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Zucchini plants get HUGE.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Village Idiot
    Zucchini is not a vine, and although you can trellis them, they may still take up more real estate than you want.  The vegetables I like to trellis are cucumbers, snow peas, and pole beans.  In my current garden, I have cucumbers and snow peas trellised.  You do need to train them to grow up and through the trellis.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041

Zucchini is not a vine, and although you can trellis them, they may still take up more real estate than you want.  The vegetables I like to trellis are cucumbers, snow peas, and pole beans.  In my current garden, I have cucumbers and snow peas trellised.  You do need to train them to grow up and through the trellis.

I actually have only trellised what you mentioned as well. I did a lot or research on "urban" gardening when we started ours, there are some amazing things done to save space. I remember seeing zucchini on the lists but I don't like it enough to grow it and we are super limited on space.
  • double
    I will post some of our layouts when I get home. The garden is swmbo therapy mine is range.
    Lynnwood WA
  • double
    So every year the plans get drawn for crop rotation.
    A lot of prep work still to happen this year!
    Raspberries along the back
    Strawberry Bed
    Lynnwood WA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    My in-laws plant lettuce in the shade of the trellises.  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Just transplanted zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, eggplant, Roma tomato, slicing tomato, habanero, jalepeno, cayenne, and sweet bells!! Jumping in with both feet!

XLBGE 
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    You're going to love it when July and August roll around.
    Mamaroneck
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    @MCN, sounds great. I am new to gardening but have tomatoes, cucumbers, banana pep, jal pep, bell pep, onions, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, basil and parsley going. Been fun so far.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013