Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 different thermometer readings

Options
The thermometer on the BGE is calibrated. The Diqiq DX2 is calibrated and the meat thermometer is calibrated. the Digiq is reading 260deg, the BGE is reading 300deg and the meat thermometer is reading 265deg. The digiq is clipped onto the BGE stem. When I saw the difference in the temperature I simply stuck the meat thermometer into the daisy wheel since all 3 probes will be close in nature. So which thermometer do I trust?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    If you are confident in the calibrations, then you can trust them all.  There are temperature gradients inside the BGE and depending on whether you are cooking direct or indirect can also lead to different readings throughout.  I'm a little surprised at the difference between the Digiq and BGE if both are in very close proximity.  Call the meat thermo the tie breaker and go with the temp is around 260-270*F.  Since you cook to temp-the average temperature in the BGE (measured on the BGE thermo or somewhere else) is only a guide to the approximate cooking time for planning purposes.  You can come up with too much info-just make sure that whatever thermo you use to determine doneness is accurate.  That's the end-game decider.  Good luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Thanks.. Yes, I am cooking on indirect right now. I did the calibrations in a pot of boiling water. All 3 were within a deg or 2..
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Move the DigiQ thermometer down to grate level and go with that one.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Back when I had a functioning Maverick, I found that I got different readings on different sides of the grill, and a different one when I dangled the probe down thru the daisy. Now, If I find the meat is cooking uneavenly, I rotate the piece and/or flip it to help average out the temp it is in.
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Move the DigiQ thermometer down to grate level and go with that one.
    What he said.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL