Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lunch for 60

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669

Pre wedding lunch at my house for 60 bride's friends deal on May 4th. Just getting ready and I  would like you to shoot holes in this (the 85% is ref to what you end up with cooked from pre-cooked weight chart):

Turkey (3) 8 lb breasts (ButterBall) X 85% = 20 lbs
(2) 8lb Ham {Cooks Hams} is 16 lb X 80% = 12 lb
Sausage links say 60 ( app 4 links per lb) 15 lbs
Potato salad 4oz each serving @ 60 = 15 lbs
Cole slaw 4 oz per serving @ 60 = 15 lbs
Sausage (L&R or the one from HEB)
HEB potato salad
HEB cole slaw
Kings Rolls
Patato Rolls
Chips & Dips
I am thinking I can get all three breasts on one Large and both hams on the other. Then cook the sausage. Thinking the breasts will take about 75 min and the ham about (less) 4 hours. Want to cook for a 11:00 serving and not a lot of hold over time. Thoughts & ideas please while I have time for changes....
Doing the Hams "Naked" and just got in (never used) sugar maple chunks and chips OR like I always do with cherry/pecan. For the turkey cherry/pecan and coffee rub.
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    I think your're gonna have some leftovers but not much...wouldn't change it....looks well thought out...GL
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Looks good (and ambitious).  With that many people, I'm sure there will be vegetarians there.  Do you think potato salad and cole slaw will be enough for them?  You could add cornbread dressing or baked beans.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Mickey, when I crash this party I'd like to find some ribs or steak. Do you think you could add that to the menu?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sounds like a grand feast. Pulled pork is an easy crowd pleaser usually if that makes things any easier. Goes great as sliders made with three kings rolls.

The only hole I see is that I haven't received my invite yet !

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn
    VI makes a good point.

I'm guessing that sentence has never before been uttered or written.

You might even throw in something green. That will distract a few omnivores from my ribs and steak ..

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Are you smoking or roasting the breasts? A large breast usually takes me close to three hours at 250*. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Mickey
    jlsm said:
    Are you smoking or roasting the breasts? A large breast usually takes me close to three hours at 250*. 
    I do all chicken/turkey at 375/400 or so and 75 min's on a 13 lb turkey spatchcocked.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Like the idea of sugar maple smoke on the hams, will compliment the cherry/pecan on the turkey - variety is always nice. 
    With the chips an dips, some veggies and fruits for dipping and the ever popular pickles are always a hit. 
    Good luck - and if Travis was serious about helping, suggest you take him up on his offer....

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Village Idiot
    I'd have Travis as a waiter, wearing a tux and tails.  But, if he hasn't gotten a haircut since he had his avatar made, I'd require that he get one.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Foghorn
    I'd have Travis as a waiter, wearing a tux and tails.  But, if he hasn't gotten a haircut since he had his avatar made, I'd require that he get one.

That would be a nice pic.  Then maybe I could get the picture of him in a skirt/kilt out of my mind...

San Antonio, TX

• Village Idiot
    BTW, congratulations, Mickey.

Is Linda registered at Home Depot or Target?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    If I was responsible for feeding that many women I would make about 20 pounds of chicken salad, a huge bowl of regular salad, buy some croissants, and call it a day. Isn't that what they eat at those things? Maybe it's different in Texas. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Foghorn

Mickey can't come out and say it because he needs plausible deniability but it is pretty obvious that the only reason he "reached out to us for help/advice" is so that a bunch of us can crash the party. 

That way he can look "surprised" and "have no idea" when VI, Centex, Travis, Nola and a bunch of other delinquents come stumbling in to the party.  That's why he's not making a bunch of 2" sandiwiches with the crust cut off.

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Hi54putty said:
    If I was responsible for feeding that many women I would make about 20 pounds of chicken salad, a huge bowl of regular salad, buy some croissants, and call it a day. Isn't that what they eat at those things? Maybe it's different in Texas. 
    Should have added both men and women.......

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I was reading through expecting you to say you were doing it all on a mini!
    Congrats and good luck with the cook.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Dang it! I've already got plans for that day.

I think you should scrap the whole menu and do a Cinco de Mayo theme party with margaritas instead.

;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Griffin said:

Dang it! I've already got plans for that day.

I think you should scrap the whole menu and do a Cinco de Mayo theme party with margaritas instead.

;)
    Let me think on that. Enough margaritas and no need to cook......... How do you go 60 (several in the wedding party) sobered up in 4 hours? Guess I will have to do like Linda said, just wine and beer.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Those minis don't look like such a great idea now do they Mick?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    If you need help Mickey I could do the hams on the large and bring them up.  Otherwise it look like you have a good plan.  Just be up and ready to start prepping at 6AM
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Good luck with the cook Mickey.  I'm sure you will knock it out of the park.
    Flint, Michigan
  • If you do the margarita thing, I was at a party where they had taken the office water dispenser and made 5 gallons of margaritas.  Very interesting idea.  Water was never quite the same.  I think it was better. :))

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Mickey
    @AustinEgghead & @TravisStric you two are what makes this place so special. If I called you I am 100% you both would cook the whole thing. And 100+ more of you would do the same thing if lived closer. I would do the same for you as well. Thank you

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I will be cook them here in Florida and deliver them myself. And I'm sure you'd send me back with a mini ;-)

Let me know!
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mickey
    Our own  @Alwaysgolf has started a cater bbq business Sticky Bones BBQ . That is who sent me the chart for size portions. If you have a second facebook Sticky Bones BBQ. Alvin is going to town on this.

• milesbrown4
    milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Mickey looks great I wish I was around to help you out.  My only advice from recent parties is that sausage, if you cut it right, can go a long way.  When I had 60 over for Christmas party the sausage kept us afloat.  Good luck!

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited April 2013
    Wish I could go right now. I'm starving...
    Dunedin, FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    serve @nolaegghead vampire sausage 8-X
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN