Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

last night's steaks

Options
Just wanted to thank you all for the help. So I got the egg up to about 700deg. Seared the steaks for about 1 min. To 1.30. Each side. Yes the lid was open and flames all over the meat, this kinnda freaked me out, but owell just let it go. Then took them off the egg and foiled. Then dropped the temp to about 400. This is where I wasnt to sure, I put them back on and closed the lid, or do you leave open? I am sure it doesnt matter but sometimes you may get better results.  Cooked to an internal temp to about 130 to 135. Took them off and let them rest for about 10 mins. They were really good, so thanks. I didnt even get the look of yes I over cooked them again. So again thanks all.imageimage

Comments

• Browninggold
    Options
    Steaks look great
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    They look great, sometimes you have to sacrfice looks for proper inside temperature.  I used to try to get crossed grill marks -- but i was always fighting "over cooking" the steaks..
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    Steak look good enough to eat  :)

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks like they turned out great!  I used to always manage to over cook steaks too.  One of the main reasons I got the thermapen.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• chris123stock
    Options
    Well I was very happy that it was finally a success,  at least tonight is salmon. Nothing to do but eyeball that.  :D
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    really nice...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    Chris... As you found out getting the BGE down from 700 to 400 degrees gives time to mow the lawn, wash the car and bath the dog. You might want to try the reverse sear sometime. You cook it direct heat at normal grid level at 275 to 300 degrees until your Meat temp is 115 degrees. Take your meat off while you take your regular grid off and go down to your GX ( grill extender) which sits right on top of your fire box which puts you 2 to 3 inches from your hot lump. Don't close the lid and leave your bottom vent wide open. Sear the meat for about 3 minutes per side. You end up with a dark mahogany surface and the meat will be pink bumper to bumper... Like they do in the real expensive Steakhouse's. They never give you steaks with sear marks at those high end places. That's is dome at low end steak houses that sell you a lower grade of meat and try to make it look good. The GX is only $25 by the way. It takes much less time to heat the BGE up.... Than it does to cool it off.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Unless you are cooking for the President or the Queen, sear marks are for show, taste is where it is at and it looks like you got it pretty good.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Nice cook. Like @hogHeaven says, try a reverse, it is much easier on the egg. For a small reverse, one or two steaks, I set mine up with the CI grid on the fire ring, half moon/pizza stone cut in half on the CI grid and a raised grid for the low temp cook. 
    Once the IT is 115, off comes the steak (foiled) outcomes the grid extender, open the vents and within minutes I'm set to sear on the CI grid. On my cooks, the reverse is done in 30-45 seconds a side.  

Another advantage is SWMBO likes her steak ruined, so it goes on about 5-10 minutes before mine. After the reverse sear, my internal is 130 or so. her's is over 160 - yet the outside of her steak looks just like mine, it is brown, but not burned. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I prefer the reverse sear as well.  Lots of ways to accomplish it...here is how I recently started doing it  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jimfastcar
    Options
    HogHeaven said:
    Chris... As you found out getting the BGE down from 700 to 400 degrees gives time to mow the lawn, wash the car and bath the dog. You might want to try the reverse sear sometime. You cook it direct heat at normal grid level at 275 to 300 degrees until your Meat temp is 115 degrees. Take your meat off while you take your regular grid off and go down to your GX ( grill extender) which sits right on top of your fire box which puts you 2 to 3 inches from your hot lump. Don't close the lid and leave your bottom vent wide open. Sear the meat for about 3 minutes per side. You end up with a dark mahogany surface and the meat will be pink bumper to bumper... Like they do in the real expensive Steakhouse's. They never give you steaks with sear marks at those high end places. That's is dome at low end steak houses that sell you a lower grade of meat and try to make it look good. The GX is only $25 by the way. It takes much less time to heat the BGE up.... Than it does to cool it off.
    How long does it typically take to go from 300 to 600 with the bottome vent fully open ?
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    +1 on reverse sear, since i tried it I wont go back!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @jimfastcar - on my medium it is only about 5 minutes max
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    HogHeaven said:
    I really do love this forum, this is a great idea.  I will try this next time I do steaks!!!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    The steaks look really good.I too do the reverse sear .I love the new wood you used for the shevles too.Could you show us a picture of them too please
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Millsy said:
    The steaks look really good.I too do the reverse sear .I love the new wood you used for the shevles too.Could you show us a picture of them too please
    Those are the the newer mates BGE are using, so much nicer than the cheesy old ones, my deck upstairs is to small for a table so I went with the mates.image
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Great lookin steaks!
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    i like the reverse sear as well, but i do like the looks of the cross hatching!! a little bit of a perfectionist i geuss! :D
  • HogHeaven
    Options
    Jim... To answer your question about how long does it take to get from 300 to 600 degrees let me say this. When you open the lid to take out your regular grid so as to drop your meat down to the top of the fire box, with the bottom vent wide open, you are giving your lump all of the oxygen it can handle and the fire will temp will increase quickly. However... Once you drop your meat down to where it is 2" from the hot coal it will sear as soon as you get it down there. Especially if you put some beef love on it before you put it back on. For those of you that don't know what beef love is... It rendered fat from the trimmings of all of your various meats that you cook. Save it instead of throwing it away when you trim a pork butt or shoulder or when you trim a ribeye before putting it on the Egg. When my meat reaches that 115 degrees on the regular grid I take the meat off and set it on a plate next to my BGE. I take out my 18" grid and of course i didn't have the plate setter in at all and my GX grill extender was put in place right on top of the fire box before i started the cook. Before I put the meat back on I blot it with paper towels to get rid of any moisture it has rendered so far. You don't want to steam it, young ant to sear it. After I blot it I paint the side that I am going to sear first with beef love. I put it down on the small grid to sear and just before I turn the meat to do the other side, I paint it with beef love. Once I've turned the meat and the newly sear side is up... That's when I add my fresh ground pepper. Any pepper you had put on prior to that hot sear will have been burned off. I never pepper my steaks until that point in the cook. Just so you all know I didn't invent all of this technic. I learned it from Meathead. Meathead owns and operates the best BBQ website on the net in my humble opinion. He learned about "Beef Love" from a famous Steakhouse owner in Chicago and published for us all to use and enjoy. Here taught me about the reverse sear and stated the scientific facts as to why this is the superior way to cook meat. He himself is a great chef and has taught cooking at Cordon Bleu. He is a wine critic that publishes many articles about wine. He has facts about when to brine and when not to brine and how long to brine. He has facts about how to mix your brine and exactly how much salt is the proper amount. He teaches you how to make any kind of BBQ sauce, rub or marinade you want. After almost 50 years of grilling and smoking meat for fun and entertainment... I have become a much better backyard chef by far by carefully studying and reading his published information. Do yourself a favor and check his website out.
  • HogHeaven
    Options
    I didn't give you the name of Meathead's website... Sorry. It is Amazingribs.com
  • JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    Options
    Amazingribs.com is an excellent site. Gives great "why" to bbq questions.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
    Nice cook. Like @hogHeaven says, try a reverse, it is much easier on the egg. For a small reverse, one or two steaks, I set mine up with the CI grid on the fire ring, half moon/pizza stone cut in half on the CI grid and a raised grid for the low temp cook. 
    Once the IT is 115, off comes the steak (foiled) outcomes the grid extender, open the vents and within minutes I'm set to sear on the CI grid. On my cooks, the reverse is done in 30-45 seconds a side.  

Another advantage is SWMBO likes her steak ruined, so it goes on about 5-10 minutes before mine. After the reverse sear, my internal is 130 or so. her's is over 160 - yet the outside of her steak looks just like mine, it is brown, but not burned. 

Hey @skiddy - love that grill extender! Totally different but looks much better than mine. What brand is it/where might I find one? Thanks!