Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Built a Table

I have zero woodworking skills but I wanted to build a table on my own, so I set out to do this which also included buying a few tools like a miter saw and a jigsaw.  I actually modified the plans I found on the Grill Dome website to build this table...

I used pressure treated lumber.  The first lesson I learned here as a novice woodworker is to let the wood dry for a couple weeks before cutting it to keep shrinkage from being an issue.  I'll know that next time...

I started out by assembling the bottom deck...

Then I attached the 4x4 legs.  (After assembly was complete, I came back to these joints and added 3/8" carriage bolts through these joints for added strength on the table.)

Next step was installing the wheels and axle.  I used a 36" piece of 5/8" threaded rod and two pneumatic 10" tires from Harbor Freight.  The legs on this side of the table are 1 1/2" shorter than the other legs and the axle hole is centered 3 1/2" up from the base of these shorter legs...

Next step was assembling the frame for the table top...

Then installing the table top boards... (I went back after the fact and straightened up the edge here to make it even across the side...)

The jigsaw made quick work of the hole for the grill...

Finished up with a nice coat of Cabot's Australian Timber Oil (Mahagony Flame).  This table will not sit out in the rain.  I'll be able to keep it under my awning and out of the direct weather...

I made a handle for the end with a couple half inch floor flanges, street elbows, and a 24" piece of black pipe.  I cleaned these, primed, and painted with rustoleum... 

I invited my girlfriend's dad and brother over to help me move the grill into the table.  That only cost me a brisket dinner :) 

I started with these plans:

http://www.grilldome.com/Files/LargeWoodTablePlans.pdf

I modified a few dimensions to fit my grill.  The hole diameter and the distance from the top of the bottom shelf to the top of the table top... 

This project was fun for me and I learned a lot while doing it.  It was an easy enough project for a beginner :)

Comments