Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Deep Dish Pizza (lots of pics)...

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052

Picked up a BGE Deep Dish Pizza Stone earlier today.  My wife and I were very excited about it, so we decided we couldn't wait to try it out.  :)  Gave the King Arthur / BGE recipe a go tonight and whipped one up.  It was fantastic!

Placed this in the BGE indirect for about 10 minutes at 425 deg f until it cooked a little....then took it out and placed in the toppings.

Used some Sliced Mozzarella, Hot Sausage, Pepperoni, Feta Cheese, the Homemade Sauce and freshly grated Parmesan.

Drizzled on a little bit of EVOO on top and then placed it back on the BGE to cook up the rest of the way.  :)

Everything about this was ridiculously good.  :)  Can't wait for the next one.  ;)

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Very nice!
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    What was the cost of the Deep Dish Pizza ceramic dish?  Looks interesting
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Pie looks great. Good crust, and that slice shot makes me want to eat the screen.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    My lord that looks fantastic!!!!!  I too would like to know a base cost for this stone.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx, fellas'! The stone was $55 from my local dealer (Jack Oliver's Pools and Spas).... Will be giving it lots of use. :)
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Looks awesome,  I do like the deep dish stone.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    How big is the stone? Any chance it would fit on the Medium?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I didn't know they HAD a deep dish stone. Looks very good!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Options
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    Options
    Scttborasjr: I bought the stone for my medium.It is 15" round which fits on the medium but has little room for air circulation around the stone. My pizza turned out real good but I as only able to get the temp up to 400 and ended up cooking it for about 40 minutes. I have since bought a 12" pizza stone and will use the deep dish for other dishes.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice dish Dyal.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    Options
    Dual: I forgot to mention how delicious the pizza looked. Great job.
    Gulf Coast FL
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Thanks @grEGGorys My medium has become my main egg as I have put it on the deck right off of the kitchen. The Large and small get broken out for larger cooks now so that's what peaked my interest.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    Dyal, did you precook your sausage?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    That looks delicious.  Just ate breakfast, but suddenly I'm hungry and craving pizza.  Thanks for sharing.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• brianbala
    brianbala Posts: 29
    Options

Dyal,

I've used my deep dish stone once and the pizza was about glued to the bottom - I had to chissle the pizza out.  Any advice on seasoning the stone before putting in the dough?  Thanks.

Two Large Eggs - Located in Marietta, GA (East Cobb)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    Options
    That looks great Dyal.  I was ready to pick one of these up when I saw all the deep dish posts in the CI skillet.  I already had the CI skillet, so I gave it a try and it worked so I have been using it for the deep dish.  I would still consider one of these because there is something nice about stone and pizza.  

brianbala said:

Dyal,

I've used my deep dish stone once and the pizza was about glued to the bottom - I had to chissle the pizza out.  Any advice on seasoning the stone before putting in the dough?  Thanks.

I used this recipe which includes coating the pan with olive oil.  That did the trick for me in the CI skillet. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx a lot guys! Scott, mine is the 15 inch stone. @Botch, yup, the sausage was precooked in a frying pan on the stove. @brianbala, I didn't have a problem with it sticking. I sprayed in some Pam Canola Oil, then about 3 or 4 TBS of EVOO that I spread throughout the stone. You want it well lubricated.
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    Alright @Dyal_SC coming from a native Chicagoan I do have to give you props on your pizza bud.  It looks amazing but come on man...FETA on a pizza ;)   You're killing me smalls :)   

In all seriousness it looks great buddy!
    Large BGE

• Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    That looks great and I didnt know they made one of those.
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx guys.... @EddieK76, I am sorry to offend with the feta. ;) I'll do better next time. haha. What do you prefer in your deep dish pizza?
  • EddieK76
    EddieK76 Posts: 416
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Thx guys.... @EddieK76, I am sorry to offend with the feta. ;) I'll do better next time. haha. What do you prefer in your deep dish pizza?
    Man I don't mess around with toppings here....I just put sausage and cheese and that's it :)
    Large BGE

• bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    Options

=P~
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com