Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate setter ?? - too hot in open space?

Options

Hello all.  I got my LBGE about 2 months ago and have been using it regularly with good success.  I've done baby backs a couple times with mixed results.  Most recently, I did 2 racks flat on the grill (indirect cook, legs up, 225ish, 2-1-1) and both ended up scorched along the bone side of the ribs.

Im looking into calibrating my thermometers, and some rib racks, but I was also curious if I should be only be cooking directly above the plate setter, and avoiding the open spots, or if  I should be able to cook everywhere along the surface with the about the same results?  I've seen photos of LBGEs completely stuffed with ribs, so I dont know why my 2 racks would have had so much trouble.

Thank you!

Comments

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    Im no expert here, but i would say yes, you want to cook over the plate setter while cooking indirect. You are going to get a lot of heat coming up around in the open spots and these spots will cook, or scorch a lot quicker. If you have some ribs that are over hanging, I think moving your drip pan to cover some of the exposed areas will help this issue. Anything overhanging will just be cooked as direct. Hope that helped.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    Options
    In my opinion, it is best to cook in the "shadow" of the plate setter for indirect cooks so that everything cooks consistently.  I have seen those pics where the egg is stuffed with ribs...I can only assume that the ribs hanging over the plate setter were much more cooked ;)

I usually cut the slabs of ribs in half and try to keep then over the setter.  Most rib racks have 6 slots so you can cook 3 full slabs no problem. 

Like @AlbertaEgger said- you can use a drip pan or simply foil to help protect the ribs. 

Example:

One of those slabs was huge...even cut in half it was hanging over so I used foil to protect it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options

Ribs, indirect, and I used the open areas to get the spuds cooked near the end, direct"ish".

imageimage
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    if the ribs hang over the ps just put some hdaf under the ends... shiny side down. I like the rack tuck.. will try this
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    I just did 4 racks so the two on the outside hung over in to the direct heat, I just rotated them every 30 minutes with the other 2. Usually I just cook 2 racks at a time so its not a problem to keep them over the PS
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    225 degrees --2-1-1 and they were "scorched"  --  i think your temperature stats are way off...
  • jrobinsonrx
    Options
    225 degrees --2-1-1 and they were "scorched"  --  i think your temperature stats are way off...

I think they are too.  I was somewhat less attentive on that last hour than I should have been d/t a successful rib cook earlier in the week. 

@SmokeyPitt I like those skewers in there.  I should have thought of that myself.

Thanks everyone

• ericdc
    ericdc Posts: 30
    Options
    cooked these spares over plate setter at 250 for 5 hours, should have pulled them a little earlier than I did, but I will next time. these were flipped once. no foil no basting. just a lot of memphis dry rub.image