Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Grilled Shrimp Salad

GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776

Yeah, yeah, yeah....I know. Another healthy post. Maybe this weekend I'll slip something bad in. Took about a pound of shrimp and brined them for about 20 minutes, rinsed them off and skewered them up before throwing them on the Egg.

Coupla minutes later they were done. Deshelled them and mixed them in with some salad and some home made type dressing that was 1/4 cup Duke's light mayo, 2tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp water and 1/2 tsp of Dizzy Pigs Swamp Venom.image

For a salad, it wasn't half bad. Actually, it was pretty good. The dressing was tangy and refreshing. Gonna be a great meal option for when it gets hot this summer and we want something light and refreshing and cool to eat. 

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·

Comments

• caneggercanegger Posts: 537
    Those look Yummy
    ·
  • six_eggsix_egg Posts: 603

Quick, simple and healthy. I love it. Nice griffin

XLBGE, LBGE growing accessories.

Want: Ceramicgrillworks 2 tier large, Dutch oven, Cyber Q Wifi

Grenada, MS

·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Bravo Griff! That looks good.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,266
    Very nice. Question: your thoughts on shells. Brined you left them on, why? Any rules for on/off at any time??????? Yours looks good, asking for myself.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,903
    looks good will be doing that dressing soon with the shrimp but not the lettuce
    :D my doctor told me not to eat that
    :))
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776
    I leave the shells on because I think they help protect them from the heat, less of a chance that they will dry out when cooking. Something I tried a while back and liked how they turned out better. Either way is fine. I'm not aware of any rules.

Richardson, Texas

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    If you like to eat shrimp poop, leave the shells on.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,335
    Looks great as usual Griffin.  Those are some texas sized shrimp.  Not-so-shrimpy shrimp. 

You can de-poop-chute shrimp with shells on...or buy them that way ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,266
    edited April 2013
    Seeing lots of shall on and devained now.I think it is only $7. extra per pound.
    VI do you pull shells on all cooks?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    Typically, with one of those plastic thingies, you get about half of the "vein" if you're lucky.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,776

I sliced through the top of the shell and part of the back of the shrimp and removed the poop chute prior to brining them. :P

Richardson, Texas

·

Mickey said:

VI do you pull shells on all cooks?

Generally, yes.  Some dishes call for "tail on" shrimp, but that is essentially shelling also.  It is my opinion that the main cause of any problems with cooking shrimp is that they are overcooked.  They become dry and rubbery.  Properly cooked shrimp is juicy, tasty, and has great texture.   But, that's just my opinion.

I think the ONLY dish I cook without shelling in New Orleans BBQ Shrimp.  In that, you don't even take the heads off.  Like crawfish, shrimp heads add a particular spiciness to the sauce.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,202
    nice Griffin... how's the new lifestyle going?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·