Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Shrimp Salad

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200

Yeah, yeah, yeah....I know. Another healthy post. Maybe this weekend I'll slip something bad in. Took about a pound of shrimp and brined them for about 20 minutes, rinsed them off and skewered them up before throwing them on the Egg.

Coupla minutes later they were done. Deshelled them and mixed them in with some salad and some home made type dressing that was 1/4 cup Duke's light mayo, 2tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp water and 1/2 tsp of Dizzy Pigs Swamp Venom.image

For a salad, it wasn't half bad. Actually, it was pretty good. The dressing was tangy and refreshing. Gonna be a great meal option for when it gets hot this summer and we want something light and refreshing and cool to eat. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Those look Yummy
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

Quick, simple and healthy. I love it. Nice griffin

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Bravo Griff! That looks good.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very nice. Question: your thoughts on shells. Brined you left them on, why? Any rules for on/off at any time??????? Yours looks good, asking for myself.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    looks good will be doing that dressing soon with the shrimp but not the lettuce
    :D my doctor told me not to eat that
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    I leave the shells on because I think they help protect them from the heat, less of a chance that they will dry out when cooking. Something I tried a while back and liked how they turned out better. Either way is fine. I'm not aware of any rules.

Rowlett, Texas

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    If you like to eat shrimp poop, leave the shells on.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Looks great as usual Griffin.  Those are some texas sized shrimp.  Not-so-shrimpy shrimp. 

You can de-poop-chute shrimp with shells on...or buy them that way ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013
    <P>Seeing lots of shall on and devained now.I think it is only $7. extra per pound.</P>
    <P>VI do you pull shells on all cooks?</P>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Typically, with one of those plastic thingies, you get about half of the "vein" if you're lucky.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Griffin

I sliced through the top of the shell and part of the back of the shrimp and removed the poop chute prior to brining them. :P

Rowlett, Texas

• Village Idiot

Mickey said:

VI do you pull shells on all cooks?

Generally, yes.  Some dishes call for "tail on" shrimp, but that is essentially shelling also.  It is my opinion that the main cause of any problems with cooking shrimp is that they are overcooked.  They become dry and rubbery.  Properly cooked shrimp is juicy, tasty, and has great texture.   But, that's just my opinion.

I think the ONLY dish I cook without shelling in New Orleans BBQ Shrimp.  In that, you don't even take the heads off.  Like crawfish, shrimp heads add a particular spiciness to the sauce.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    nice Griffin... how's the new lifestyle going?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN