Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken breasts help

We have some chicken breasts in the freezer.  I want to try to cook them on the Egg.  I have yet to be able to cook chicken breasts where they are edible and not dried out cardboard.  Planning on taking them out of the freezer on Friday morning for Saturday night's dinner (Will that work?).

What temp on the grill and how long approximately (Cook to 160 - Thermapen)?
Indirect or direct
Raised, felt line, fire ring line or down on the spider?

Methods
Just use a BBQ rub?
Marinate?
Stuff (this sounds good and how would that change the cook method).

I am thinking about making a bunch to have for later in the week if I can get them to stay juicy and not blah like i end up with ALWAYS!

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Boneless or bone in? I like to pound out my boneless chicken breasts to a uniform thickness so that they cook evenly and faster. Less of a chance they will dry out. Cook them direct 350-400ish. Brine or marinate if you can.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Chicken breast dry out if they are over cooked. If you are pulling them at 160 and they are dry try pulling at 150. Also pound them to an even thickness. It doesn't matter how you cook them just be sure of temp and thickness. Brining is good also. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    edited April 2013
    Boneless

I will make them the same thickness - At 350 direct about how long - 5 minutes each side roughly?  Want to know if I should stand by the Egg or go sit down and have a cocktail while they cook.

Garnerville, NY
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    I soak mine in olive oil for an hour at room temp. I season with Rudy's Rub. 30-45 minutes at 350-375 indirect. I shut vents at 150-160 and let chicken finish to 165. Have already ruined two shirts because it came out so juicy.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited April 2013
    I cook them all the time, raised grid-direct at around 350*F or so (wherever it settles) for somewhere around 20-30 mins (to about 155*F).  Season just before tossing on with whatever you like.  I do the cook with a lump load that barely covers the side air holes on the LBE (maximize distance between lump and chix).  Always juicy. Good luck!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    @robnybbq - if you want direct, try raised direct at 400. I find although the heat is higher, the distance from the lump keeps the char in check. 
    For boneless I turn them, for bone in, bone side down and no turn required. 
    Even if you don't use the skin, leave it on to keep the meat moist. (assuming they have skin)
    If you want for leftovers, char or grid marks are not important, @GQuiz has a good suggestion, go indirect, I like 400, but 350 works with a little more smoke in the meat. 
    Pull at 150, final after rest will be 160. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Try 4 minutes per side and then test with a thermometer. If they need longer, they need longer, but a stand by the Egg with a cocktail in hand kinda cook.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    I usually marinate in balsamic dressing (minus the EVOO) for at least an hour if I can, then cook raised direct.
    (balsamic vinegar & dried spices: S&P, garlic, onion, oregeno, basil. yu can add rosemary or thyme if you like)  
    Time & temp will vary depending on the thickness.  

Hotter, and faster for cutlets (~400-450), 
    Not as hot (350-400), and longer for full boneless non-pounded breasts.

And remember if you pull them, and cover them, they will keep cooking.  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    +1 on the brining. It makes a huge difference in leaner meats like breasts and lean pork.
    I also agree on the raised direct. If your seasoning has sugar in it, stay around 350*. No sugar, 400*
    Enjoy your cook!
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • +1 on brining, then season with your favorite rub, but I prefer lower and slower with a little apple or pecan smoke.  (250 dome)  Gives time for a relaxing cocktail.  Pull around 155 IT and foil.

Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    +5 on the brining.  If only a basic brine, in chicken it makes a big difference.  I go direct (375 degrees) at gasket level and closely monitor the breasts, pulling and resting at 160 degrees.  I stay away from smoke on chicken, not to overpower the actual mild taste of the chicken. 
  • robnybbq
    OK - How to brine?  What do you use?  How long?  Does it matter that the breasts are frozen and will be thawed?

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    I marinate mine in Zesty Italian Dressing overnight.(I use Ken's brand) Even thickness and grill at 350 to about 155 they are always moist and tender.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Charlie tuna

The chicken needs to be unfrozen to allow the brine to enter the flesh.  A simple brine like:

1/4 cup of any kind of rub

1/2 cup of brown sugar

1/4 cup of salt

one quart of water

Or you can look a brine up on the internet.  I like to brine mine for at least six hours.

• robnybbq
    OK - thanks - Sounds good.  I am hungry now.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Even the simplest of brines work.

Sugar, water, salt. The strength will determine the brining times. I use Oak Ridge Gamechanger brine and the brine time is just a few hours max at full strength. Any more would make it too salty.

Brining itself can wash out the flavor of the chicken(it is just adding water to the meat, any flavoring agents in the brine, like rubs, just stick to the outside of it. The molecules are to large to move into the cells of the muscle, only water and salt are small enough).

Marinating with an oil-based mixture can do 2 things: Many "flavoring agents" are fat-soluble(garlic, herbs). The flavors will "bloom" once heat is applied. Secondly, oil is a fat; fat is an insulator(this is why you should leave the skin on during cooking). The oil will "diffuse" the heat and help prevent uneven heating that can lead to drying out.
  • robnybbq
    These are boneless/skinless breasts.

Garnerville, NY
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    robnybbq said:
    These are boneless/skinless breasts.
    I know. I should have been more clear. I was speaking about chicken in general. The skin protects the meat. If it's not there, the oil is a big help.
  • robnybbq
    gotcha

Garnerville, NY
  • asfish
    asfish Posts: 25

Start with the best quality meat you can afford, avoid supermarkets if you can.

• Charlie tuna
    PS: Forgot to mention -- rise off the brine before seasoning.