Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Since you guys are so smart (joint pain)

So whenever I drink I wake up with joint pain. Usually wrist and maybe knees tho can be ankles too. Any idea why? Is it something I should have looked at?
If I'm up late enough drinking the pain will start when I'm still awake.
Boom
·

Comments

• Gout!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
    ·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,845

Gout!

I dunno. Not red or swollen. And not in toe or foot. Usually my wrist. And not tender. Just hurts.

Boom
    ·
    I also just got off a month cycle of prescription anti-inflammatory for a separate knee issue. Still had the pain after drinking
    Boom
    ·

when your drinking are you falling down alot

Ha no. Last night I sat at table reading for example. Last weekend I was just playing corn hole (bag toss)
    Boom
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,460
    Sugar, alcohol, and processed foods can cause inflammation.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,569
    Gout!
    Maybe, but toes and fingers are more likely starting points AFAIK.

Have some protein in the belly and try a couple of aspirin before drinking. Glass of Alka-Selzer Gold before sleeping. The seltzer is also good for gout, too.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,281
    i have large spikes on my spine that hook onto nerves randomly, screws with my left side usually but some times the right, hips knee ankle foot left wrist, when the left wrist hurts its almost enough to pass out if i try and turn a door handle. with that knee problem you had you may have walked differently causing the other side to hurt, when i have the sciatic nerve damaged it goes from my left leg and then after a few weeks sstarts shifting pains to the right, will go on for months
    ·
    The joint pain I get I've always got from drinking, even as a teenager. The knee thing I had was recent and was from running. So not related.
    Right now my wrist hurt a lot. My knees and ankles hurt a little but mostly wrist from drinking last night.
    Boom
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,292
    Could be from pressure points in you mattress. Cut of circulation from your limbs for a few hours and it will make you sore.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
    I also just got off a month cycle

the joint pain could be from bloating. have you been irritable?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    U_tarded said:

Could be from pressure points in you mattress. Cut of circulation from your limbs for a few hours and it will make you sore.

Problem is if I stay up late enough I'll get pain while awake.
    Like last Sat started drinking around noon. By 11 that night I was still awake but ankles hurt so bad hurt to walk and stand
    Boom
    ·
    henapple said:

I also just got off a month cycle

the joint pain could be from bloating. have you been irritable?

Haha
    Boom
    ·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    So my wife gets bad wrist pains and back pains and it turned out she has issues with Gluten and Soy. If its only when your drinking the simple cure ... Stop drinking ;-)
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
    double said:

So my wife gets bad wrist pains and back pains and it turned out she has issues with Gluten and Soy. If its only when your drinking the simple cure ... Stop drinking ;-)

Yeah...I'd get drunk and forget to stop drinking ha
    Boom
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,136
    Yep time to visit the Doc. 
    Gout can be in feet and toes, but can show elsewhere, including wrists and knees. 
    Another possibility is related to falling asleep in position where you lie still (comatose) for long periods of time - although you indicate you feel the pain before passing out. (kidding of course)

My arthritis acts up if a I drink heavily, in the hip only. 

Doc will tell you why, and not to consume alcohol. You can ignore the consumption advice, but it would be nice to know the why. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,004
    Sounds arthritic to google - dehydration related?  Switch to lite beer on the next cook and see of the same happens. :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
    ·
    I had like 4 drinks yesterday so wasn't even heavy. I think it happens for most any kind of alcohol
    Boom
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,403
    What are you drinking? Alcoholic beverages with residual sugars(like wine) have sulfites added to stop fermentation. Sulfite sensitivity is similar to an allergic reaction but joint pain can be a symptom, especially if it is the type of pain associated with "flu-like" symptoms(aching pain).

It is doubtful that is is gout, though you could get a uric acid level checked. It is still possible.

It may just be dehydration and fatigue. Try drinking a glass of water between each drink. You can get joint pain from this(this is why you are so ache-y when hungover). Since a hangover is just dehydration, perhaps staying hydrated will act a prevention for you.

·
  • Who knew this place would have a bunch of experts on booze?

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • scottc454scottc454 Posts: 75
    I second the dehydration/electrolyte theory.  Stay hydrated and eat some bananas or some other potassium source. Gout tends to focus on one specific joint which is almost always the big toe. It will feel like you have glass in your foot.

Instead of drinking, I recommend a certain herb which is now quasi-legal in CO and WA.

·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,281
    i dont get hangovers  but know lots that do and it probably is from dehydration. could be lower potassium levels as well from drinking, i know some that swearby taking a glass of water and eating a banana for the potassium before bed
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,467
    Sorry to tell you this. You are getting older :-t
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    Hydration may play a part. Last night I only had like 4 drinks.
    And while rare I've gone all day at work without eating or drinking and not had issue. I also wrestled in high school and for a short period in college. Never had pain from dehydration
    Boom
    ·
    scottc454 said:

I second the dehydration/electrolyte theory.  Stay hydrated and eat some bananas or some other potassium source. Gout tends to focus on one specific joint which is almost always the big toe. It will feel like you have glass in your foot.

Instead of drinking, I recommend a certain herb which is now quasi-legal in CO and WA.

Ha that herbal remedy is not legal in SC, tho its easier to buy on a Sunday than liquor.
    Boom
    ·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Cat-itis. Another name for it as well.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
    I've screwed up my left knee... Dr said it was from too much pbr....I bought knee pads
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,060
    You should go see a doctor. Gout is a good thought, you may need to see a rheumatologist to evaluate for other things,  depending on what the work-up shows. Would not be a bad idea to limit your alcohol intake until you can figure this out. Hope you feel better.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
    So I've eaten two good sized meals and drank plenty of water. Everything still hurts. And that's how it usually is, hurt most or all of next day.
    Boom
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,351

glucosamine sulphate

Batter it down

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·