Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Low Carb" Alice Springs Chicken (pix)

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum

My wife makes this almost every week.  She usually makes the entire thing inside, but tonight I got home earlier than usual from work.  So instead of her cooking the chicken in a frying pan on the stove, I swiped up the chicken breasts before she had the chance to do that.  ;)  I wanted to fire up the BGE, even if it was only 3 butterflied chicken breasts.  :)  Only the chicken breasts were cooked on the BGE....she put the rest of the recipe together inside and finished it off in the oven. 

Anyways, she found this recipe on Pinterest a several months back, and we were hooked after the first bite.  It's a low carb version of the Alice Springs Chicken recipe served at Outback Steakhouse.  It's a wonderful low carb recipe, it's delicious, it's simple and it's quick.  Instead of using the Heavy Whipping Cream for the Sauce that the recipe calls for, my wife uses Low Fat Milk.  We personally can't tell a huge difference between the cream and the milk. 

After the chicken breasts leave the grill, they are topped with some thinly sliced White Button Mushrooms that have been sautéed. 

Then that gets topped with BACON!  ;)

Then the freshly grated Monterey Jack and the Sauce goes on top of that...

Then into the oven to finish. 

So good, and the perfect weeknight meal for those of us trying to watch our carb intake.  RECIPE CAN BE FOUND HERE

Comments

• Newbbqer
    Newbbqer Posts: 78
    Awesome, another recipe to try! Thanks for posting it
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    That looks delicious. I am definitely going to have to try that
  • We're on the Atkins, so any recipes that are low carb are worth a shot!  Thanks for sharing!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Every time I see a recipe with mushrooms I cringe because I love them but my wife can't touch them.  Looks fantastic as always.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for sharing, I will put this on my list to try. Heavy cream has half the carbs of low fat milk. Been there done as a diabetic living on a low carb diet. I have also used coconut milk in recipes instead of cows milk.

Whole milk - 11.4 grams of carbohydrate
    2 % milk - 11.7
    1 % milk - 11.6
    Fat-free (skim) milk - 11.9
    Buttermilk - 11.7
    Goat's milk - 10.9
    Half and Half - 10.4
    Light Cream - 7.1 
    Heavy Cream - 6.6

Evaporated milk (canned) - 25.3
    Nonfat evaporated - 29.0
    Sweetened condensed milk - 166 (not a typo)

Milk Substitutes

Unsweetened soy milk - between 2 and 5, depending upon brand. (Note: Most soy milk is sweetened.)  --- My comment, won't have anything to do with Soy anything. Really bad news for Diabetics.

Unsweetened almond milk - 2-3 grams, depending upon brand - again, most is sweetened

I make my own with Splenda if I want it sweet.

Canned Coconut milk - 6.3 
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Thx fellas! And thx for posting that chart, @egger ave!! That makes sense now as to why the recipe calls for heavy cream.
  • egger ave
    Dyal_SC said:
    Thx fellas! And thx for posting that chart, @egger ave!! That makes sense now as to why the recipe calls for heavy cream.
    Living low carb is an ongoing education for me. Low carb has been the best thing I have done for my health in many years.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Great looking cook Dyal, I'll be trying this one
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nice!! Good to know that the sauce can be made "low-fat" too. Although a little higher in carbs, low fat milk has much less fat than heavy cream or coconut milk. Pick your poison, I guess. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • egger ave
    edited April 2013
    caliking said:
    Nice!! Good to know that the sauce can be made "low-fat" too. Although a little higher in carbs, low fat milk has much less fat than heavy cream or coconut milk. Pick your poison, I guess. 
    Low fat diets are a leftover from the 1980's and don't work to lower cholesterol or help you loose weight at least for me. The carbs in your food are responsible for high cholesterol, not the fats in your food. Cut the carbs and your good cholesterol goes up, bad goes down, blood sugars go down and you loose weight. Read the labels on "low fat" anything and you will find more carbs in the low fat choice. I  went "low Carb" 14 months ago and have lost about 35 lbs and my diabetes is under control. Your mileage my vary of course depending on quantity of beer and other refreshments consumed.

Albert Einstein
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @egger ave: weight loss and diabetes control (and consequently improved outcomes for diabetics) involve many factors besides simply low carb or low fat diets. The kinds of carbs and types of fats eaten also make a difference, as does exercise and other variables. Lower caloric intake seems to make the most difference overall, whether by reducing dietary carb or fat intake. I'm with you on the processed "low fat" foods in the stores - I'm not a big fan of them myself

I was just pointing out that adopting a low carb but high(er) fat diet may be a risky strategy for some, as there is a risk of atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease. It does depend on what types of, and how much, fat one eats. 

We will likely come to a point where low carb diets are a thing of the 2010's, but until then we all do what we can to keep ourselves healthy :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Great recipe again Dyal- thanks for sharing.  Did you prefer the egged chicken over the indoors?  I would like to try this on the egg start to finish...even egg the bacon ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Looks fantabulous @Dyal_SC!! Thanks for posting that. And thanks @egger_ave for the info you provided on the milk and creams. That's getting printed out right now. :-bd

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• egger ave
    I will test with coconut milk this weekend. Great recipe and post! Love the images. Thank You

Albert Einstein