Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP

Options
Ok not really,  just wanted you to look, ok but I do have a question,  so I am cooking steak tonight,  so here is what I got. Well I didn't  buy them but its like a loin petite cut they are about 1 inch thick so wont take long. I suck at steak, but here is what I was thinking,  700 deg. Direct heat, to sear, 1.5 mins a side. Then drop down to 400, but for how long and what temp for med rare? Also we are trying the egg cook I dont know about this. Worth a try I guess. imageimage

Comments

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    No idea on time at 400 but 130 to 135 temp is med. rare.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    +1 for the strangest post I have read.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    at an inch thick I'd do a reverse sear or just cook them at 500 till mr
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    smash and sear \m/
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Egg on egg action!

Roast to 125 and let rest. I'd guess around 10-15 minutes.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2013
    Options
    That plan sounds good- but just to clarify you should remove the steaks from the egg after the sear while the egg comes down to temp.  Otherwise, by the time it drops to 400 the steaks may already be overcooked :)

After the sear and the egg is back down to 400, I would check the internal temp of the steaks to get an idea of how far you are.  I don't think it will take long for them to get to 125 or so.  Maybe 2-3 minutes per side would be my best guess.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Chris - keep it simple, either 500 direct until IT is 130, off. @henapple notes above.
    For more control, indirect at 275 until IT is 115, off and keep warm (foil). remove the setter and crank the egg to 600+, drop the steaks on for 30-40 seconds a side. nice colour, nice smoke flavour and the cook will not run away on you.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    If they are only an inch thick and you want medium rare they might get over cooked if you try a sear, then roast.  Probably could just sear.  Won't take long to get to 130 IT
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Wow those eggs did get done,  only thing they sqeek when you chew them. And we had no mustard, well I can say I tried it and it works, so that's cool.  Thanks for the steak help. image
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Have you radmy posts? I thought this one was pretty good. :))
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I have to admit I have never radmy'ed your posts.  But keep them coming
    :-O

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2013
    Options
    I have to admit I have never radmy'ed your posts.  But keep them coming
    :-O
    Hey Doc - damn kids and their mobiles, eh?
    Nice eggs, cold smoking some this weekend. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    post results...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    Options
    Searing first on a BGE just seems so wrong to me... Cooling the BGE down from 700 derees take so long. You can heat them up real fast but reducing heat takes forever. I cook at grid level using direct heat until my meat gets to 115 degrees. Then I take the big grid off and of course I already have my 13 1/2" grill extender sitting right on top of my fire box which is 2" from the hot lump and sear it at the end of the cook until the meat gets to 135 degrees. That my friends makes much more sense to me. You end up with a beautiful dark mahogany surface and the meat inside is pink bumper to bumper.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited April 2013
    Options
    HogHeaven said:
    Searing first on a BGE just seems so wrong to me... Cooling the BGE down from 700 derees take so long. You can heat them up real fast but reducing heat takes forever.
    I used to think the same way. The trick is to get the fire going with it open, do the sear, take them off, then close things down, and close the dome. With the dome open the whole time, it doesn't take as long to cool down.

but the reverse sear is easier.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!