Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork and Brisket kind of weekend.

After a week long rain we finally had some great weather and decided to fire up the eggs and enjoy the weekend. 

Saturday a friend of mine was having a birthday party and wanted me to bring over my egg and smoke a pork butt. This is the second one I have done on my small egg. 7 ½ lb bone in boston butt rubbed with some Bad Byron's Butt Rub. 

I used my DigiQ Dx2 to keep the fire going and once it was stabilized at 275° the pork went on. I used a handful of cherry and a handful of apple chips. 

Just a touch under 8 hours later I took the pork off and FTC for two hours. 
It turned out great and a few people said it was the best pulled pork they have had, so thats always a great thing to hear after cooking all day. 

After over eight hours at 275° I couldn't believe how much lump was left! I love my small egg.

Sunday was my mom's birthday so we got a 16 lb packer brisket and threw it on the egg at 275° for eight hours and bumped it up to 300° to help it through the stall and rested in a cooler for one hour. 

We draped it over some foil wrapped bricks to make it fit on the egg. 

Hot dogs and corn went on the CGW Swing Rack as the brisket was resting in the cooler. 
The brisket was tender, juicy, had a nice smoke ring, and probably the best one yet! We pulled at 194° when the thermapen was going in like butter. 

It was a beautiful day and two great meals with friends and family! 
Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @Griffin I hadn't done one since last September so it was defiantly time. Nice catch! I hadn't noticed that, maybe that is why it tasted so good! 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Nice cook! Everything look's awesome.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Solson005
    Thanks @RAC it was two great meals! Now I get to use my new food saver to make the leftovers last! 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I was just about to point out the brisket-koi resemblance, but @Griffin beat me to it. BBQ poetry. 

Love seeing your backyard. Its like therapy :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,050
    Looks incredible! I wanna camp out in your backyard. ;)
  • That's a great weekend of bbq! Two cooks I need to try, but not on the same weekend.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @caliking it was a great weekend to spend time in the backyard! I'm ready to open the pool with this great weather we have been having! 

@Dyal_SC Thanks! We just got a inflatable screen to watch movies and hopefully some Thunder Playoff games outside so book now! 

@LTAFlynEgg Thanks, it was a great weekend with two awesome meals. Pulled pork is a pretty easy one, the hardest part is trying to keep the dome closed before it is done. Brisket can be tricky but you should go for it! 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited April 2013

Dude, these cooks are what I aspire to be in the world of Eggdom. I think a pork butt attempt is next on the list.

• Wow, two awesome looking cooks.  Brisket is the one cook I have yet to try on my egg.  Don't know what I'm waiting for, just need to go for it.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Solson005
    @Plano_JJ Thanks. it wasn't planned to do both originally but with two birthday parties it worked out great! Pulled pork is great the first time around and reheats great so leftovers can be almost better than the original cook. 

@SWVABeanCounter thanks. Thats right just go for it! Try not to open the dome to check on it until it gets really close. That is about the hardest part..  I injected it with a beef broth mixture and it turned out great. We usually just do flats but now that I have a foodsaver we can justify getting a bigger one to have great leftovers actually last. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Well done as usual Solson . I too would like to join the camp out.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I hate your perfect cooks and awesome patio...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    So when you pull the pork, do you have to remove fat or is it cooked away? Yours looks very lean.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @shtgunal3 I will add you to the vip list..  B-)

@henapple thanks that means a lot 
    \m/ let me know if your ever though OKC and you can have a meal off a egg while on the road. 

@Plano_JJ this was the only single butt walmart had, it had a fat cap on the bottom but most of it rendered down. I cook fat side down. I usually pull most of it and deal with any extra fat after the meal. It didn't have much as it was a 7 ½ lb bone in butt from Wally World. Now that I have a food saver I will be buying the two pack and can save one for later if I use my small egg or do both on the large.