Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru

Options
I bought a BBQ Guru a few weeks back and I have a question.  When I am doing a low and slow I am not getting much smoke. I use four to five chunks spread throughout the lump.  Thanks for your answers in advance.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    When I cook a butt, it is always a turbo cook, and I use chunks of pecan. These chunks are six inches long and about two inches in diameter. Since the first two hours for a great turbo cooked butt requires maximum smoke for that period prior to reaching 160 degrees, I place the wood directly on top of my lump, but off to the side of the fire ring. Lighting the egg in the center, it takes only about ten minutes to get the smoke rolling! This usually gives me about two and a half hours of good smoke. At 160 degrees the butt gets wrapped in foil, so smoke does not effect the rest of the cook..
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    it's different with the egg... just because you don't see smoke billowing out doesn't mean you're not getting the smoke flavour..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN