Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Teriyaki chicken ( I think) and beef marrow, with sweet taters.

The weather was great in Houston this past weekend. Not much to do on Sunday, except go to a concert in the evening, so preparations were made for optimal utilization of a fine weekend morning.

Chicken was marinated in this mix overnight:

1/4 cup light soy sauce + splash each of fish, dark soy, Worcestershire sauces

¼ cup honey

¼ cup lime juice

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/8 cup ketchup

1/8 cup Sriracha sauce
1 TBSP rice wine
1" fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic 
1 tsp sesame oil

The recipe is actually for Huli-Huli chicken, but I didn't have the pineapple, so I'm not sure what it should be called. 

Fired up the large. Already had some pecan wood in there, but I would have preferred fruit wood (like the orange wood which I have not had a chance to try yet). The chicken was cooked raised indirect. The clay saucer was pulled to the front on the lower grid to leave some space at the back for raised direct. No finer view from the kitchen window:

The groceries needed some sunshine. Sweet potatoes got some EVOO, pepper, DP Raising the Steaks, and were glazed with maple syrup when nearly done. Beef marrow got sesame oil, ghost pepper salt, cumin, and cayenne. Chicken marinade recipe posted above.

Cooked at 325°F. I didn't keep track of times. The chicken was skinless, because we have been trying to eat healthier, but it does taste even better with crispy skin. Decided to sacrifice the skin since we were eating the beef marrow for apps.

Pulled the beef marrow when the marrow looked browned. Sorry this is the only plated shot from this cook.

The chicken marinade was boiled and simmered to thicken. Moved the chicken to the back (raised direct) of the grid and glazed with the sauce. Pulled at IT 170ish. The sweet potatoes needed a  bit longer.

The beef marrow was eaten with homemade oat-wheat toast and was soooo good! I think we eat beef marrow once a year, so its a special treat. The chicken was moist and delicious, and is one SWMBO's fav things for me to make. It was a busy cook (making baos on the side), but a terrific way to spend a spring Sunday!

[Sorry for the lack of plated shots - things got busy towards the end].

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments