Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Do you have to reseat the dome from time to time?

I have been gasketless for a while now.  Did some cooks this weekend - Did a low and slow on Friday.  I always see smoke coming from the gasket line.    Loaded the firebox with Wicked good and when the cook was done at 6:00 PM and 1/2 fire box of lump remaining  (6 hours total) I put the ceramic cap on and closed the bottom vent.  The next day we were going to cook some steaks (Filet Mignon).  When I was stiring the old lump to clean out the ash I noticed the Egg was still very warm.  I thought it was the sun shining on the Egg all day but guess what - The coals were still going and burned my hand a little.  Then I noticed the gap (dome and base) was about 1/4 inch or a little more. 

Do you have to adjust the straps every now and then?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Yes, it was adjusted (I'm guessing) when you had a gasket, so i may need re-adjusting now that it is gone.  I'd watch the BGE video on their website on assembly if you feel you need help. JMO 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,095
    Try this. 
    Close the dome.
    Loosen the bands. (put the lock on the hinge if you still have it depending on your egg vintage)
    Line up the dome and base. 
    While applying some weight, two hand of pressure to the dome (SWMBO does a great job at my house) retighten. 
    Voila - no gap and any underbite or overbite should be gone. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 12,496
    I used this on mine... only took two months
    orthodontic-appliances-for-underbite.jpg
    150 x 150 - 6K
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,628
    Just wondering how it go that far off.  I had readjusted it over the winter when the gasket originally went but could never get a tight seal.  Just noticed there was a huge gap this weekend resuklting in lump burning for 24+ hours.  I am glad I noticed it and not put the hot coals in the garbage.

Garnerville, NY
  • zosobao5150zosobao5150 Posts: 114
    Perhaps your bands need tightened and as a result your dome slipped a wee bit?  My $0.02.
    XL BGE
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    You said you were gasket less! Lump consumption was my biggest effect when I changed my gasket.. Just guessing, I was getting two cooks, on average, per eight pound bag of RO lump. As soon as I changed to a new Rutland gasket, it increased to three cooks per bag. Considering the cheap cost of the gasket and the ease of installing it, it is a no brained!
  • robnybbqrobnybbq Posts: 1,628
    I am going to replace it now that the weather is getting warmer.  The temps dropping into the 20's everynight was preventing me from doing it.

Garnerville, NY