Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The gauntlet has been dropped

My best friend, a quite good cook,chef generally is who got me thinking about getting a smoker and my research led me to the BGE. 
He uses an electric with pucks, and when I told him about my decision he laughed and said there are much more cost-effective ways to smoke (his method), and the BGE is an over-priced BBQ

Well I plan to prove him wrong although it will take some time before I am proficient with this cooker......

Comments

• Probably not. With a little help from a few of the experts on this forum you will surprise yourself right away! I tried several variations of smokers before the Egg and needed several attempts at anything before it was very good. The first pork butt with no seasoning just as a trial run was better then the best I ever made on anything else.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I give it about 2 weeks until you are ready for battle. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    While there may be cheaper ways to smoke foods, I doubt if they will grill, bake or sear anything. Also will probably not cook anything during a blizzard and a power outage.

Aside from the versatility, and efficiency, Egg'd foods really do come out about 20% moister w. no effort.

Practice temperature control. Don't fuss too much. Most things cook well over a range of temperatures. You will, however, eventually be able to set temperatures to just about the exact degree you like. Consider getting some welding gloves so you can more easily flip steaks searing over 2000F fires.

You're gong to give him a run for his money.

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    all you have to tell him is the only time the first bbq'ers (cave men) used electricity for grilling was to start the fire (lightning).  From then on, they had enough brain power to finish the cook naturally over real wood............lol

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Not sure an electric one is more efficient.  My B-I-L has an electric puck smoker and while it is super easy to use, just set it and forget about it, the heating element is constantly running because it is not well insulated.  In the winter i would say it is the least efficient things possible.  And like many others have said you cannot make a pizza in it, or sear a steak, or cold smoke anything.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Deja Vu...Gauntlets are dropping everywhere! 

There are some suggestions in there that might help you out ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

Take him down hard.

I too, am a chef and I canot produce anything in a regular smoker that is as good as the egg.

Here is the list for cooks that you can do early in your egging career to make him regret his comments.

Pork butt- very forgiving

Wings - easy direct/indirect cook

Pizza- Let him try on his in his smoker.....NOT!!!!!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Also, explain to him that if he is not even making BBQ if he is using an electric smoker. No flame = NO Q!

I'm sure his roasted pork shoulder tastes good, but that's like offering meat and bean stew to a Texan and trying to call it chili! 

I will draw and quarter any pig with you to win this challenge. Three cheers for the Egg!

Hurrah!

Hurrah!

Hurrah!

;)