Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First post, long time reader (pics)

I got my large egg in October at the Atlanta eggfest and have been on this site daily.  First of all, thank you to everyone on the site.  This site is a wealth of knowledge and I have learned a lot more in the 6 months I have been here than I could in 6 years by myself.  The only cook I have not tried yet is the brisket but SWMBO keeps dropping hints that it is time. 

I wanted to share some pics of tonight's cook.  I have not seen anybody post any pics of these so I thought I would share.  Dove marinated in Italian dressing for about an hour, wrapped in bacon, grilled raised direct 400.  When they are almost ready to come off, put a cube of cheddar cheese on top and melt over them.  We also like to take the meat off the breast bone, marinate in Italian dressing, put a slice of jalapeno pepper between two pieces of meat, wrap in bacon, grill and cheese when done.  I was feeling a little lazy tonight and just left the meat on the bone.  Before I got the egg, my wife may eat two, tonight she ate 7 of the 15 I cooked.  Proof that everything is better off the egg!

Again, thank you all for sharing your knowledge.  Hopefully one day I will have some to share as well.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Great first post. Rarely does a first poster come up with something not seen before. Well done and looks great. Welcome, and looking forward to future cooks.
    canegger Posts: 540
    Looks good. Never had dove before.
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Welcome rlyawn. Where are you from?
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Cheese and bacon = awesomeness
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Very nice. I really enjoyed the close up of the final product. I've made tons of dove poppers but never thought to put some cheddar on them. Cream cheese maybe but never cheddar. Thanks for the idea. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2013
    Very nice. I really enjoyed the close up of the final product. I've made tons of dove poppers but never thought to put some cheddar on them. Cream cheese maybe but never cheddar. Thanks for the idea. 

same here. looked pretty good. I assume the dove were from last season? When I lived in WI, me and my TX transplant buddy went dove hunting every year. people looked at us like we were hunting human babies. They were appalled. We had people call the game warden on us saying we were shooting out of season because they had no idea there was a dove season. Sucks for them cuz we were out there all alone. The hunting sucked (not many birds) but it was fun and the beer was cold.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013
    For a first post we are going to expect lots on the hundredth. Very nice post and don't let the brisket trouble you. Have 3 eggs and over 6 years experience on them and still no brisket.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    +1 on learning from the forum - unbelievable amount of good info here, plus a lot of really nice people willing to help.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Awesome, doves are great cooked like that.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    they look awesome...

I'm not sure about doves around here, or if dove meat is even available... But can you do the same thing with pigeons, or maybe seagulls? Live near enough to two places that have plenty of them flyin' around... Though the hunting part might get me into trouble, unless I just use some well aimed rocks.

Welcome, and enjoy... Looking forward to more :)
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Two things, and looks great, btw. Where do you get the dove, er doves? And, might want to go back to the old way of cooking dove, depending on how tight things are fitting...... (Congrats on joining into the scrums, too!).
  • Kosko said:
    Welcome rlyawn. Where are you from?

Probably Texas..
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Mickey said:

For a first post we are going to expect lots on the hundredth. Very nice post and don't let the brisket trouble you. Have 3 eggs and over 6 years experience on them and still no brisket.

This is what we call "failure to launch"
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @Travis as soon as I find a good Turbo brisket, I am in!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rlyawn
    rlyawn Posts: 2
    I live in central, Georgia.  We have great dove shoots around here and in south Georgia as well.  I shot these in the second season which was October 13-21, 2012.  We have majority mourning dove here with some ring-necked dove mixed in every now and then.  Wish I could get to Texas again for a white-wing dove shoot.  

Duck hunting is my main passion.  After duck season ends in January, February to August is filled with sporting clays tournaments (with a turkey or two in April) waiting for dove season to come back in September.  Got to keep the dust off the ole shotgun!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    I have never tried dove. since I was younger I have had friends say they were going dove hunting but none of them have ever shared.. yours looks really good. what a great way to introduce yourself!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Nice cook! I like to put jalapeno and a little pineapple in the breast then wrap in bacon. Good.

Ricky

Boerne, TX