Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Pork Butt

Eggcrazy
Eggcrazy Posts: 2
Hi There! I'm getting ready to do my first Pork Butt and would like some advice. The temp sounds like it should be around 275-ish and allow 60-90 minutes per pound of meat. What rubs are good and how much smoke chips do you add? I don't like food that is too smoky but I do like a little. Also any other advice I can get would be appreicated. Thanks Egg Brothers!!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    First, do you have thermometers? Always cook it to an internal temperature not an amount of time per pound if you want consistent results. Remember whatever your dome temp is, your grate temp is likely 25 or so degrees cooler for large portion of cook. It stars to even out as it goes. I go 275-280 dome temp and try to monitor grate temp close to 250. If you don't like too smoky, just mix some chips in the lump. Two handfuls will suffice. Apple wood works well with pork. Start monitoring it when internal temp gets to 195. If bone in, it will be done when bone slides out without resistance. Prepare for a stall in temp around 170 degrees and be patient. Pics too
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited April 2013
    Oh and If you can find Bad Byron's Butt rub that is a crowd pleaser.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcrazy
    Thanks Chubbs, Yes I have the Thermometer from BGE (the wireless that provides Grill and Meat Temp) I'm searching for Bad Byrons right now.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    whatever rub you use... use a lot. you'll get a better bark imho. I use mustard to hold the seasoning. good luck
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    edited April 2013
    Bad Byrons has a locator page on their website and works great. I like it paired with Bone Suckin Sauce and the easiest place for me to find that is at Cracker Barrel.

Lots of ways to do a pork butt, I like traditional low and slow but might start slow and bump up the temp when I do another one on my small egg for a birthday party this weekend. Butt Rub put on thick give a great bark as @henapple said

I'm with @Chubbs and use a handful of Apple and a handful of Cherry chips and it isn't too smoky just a great flavor. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    for future reference...a Kim KardAshian comes out better than a Carissa FLockhart.
  • Folks, I'm smoking my first butt today.  Everything has been going well but I think I've hit the stall that a few folks have mentioned.  I'm smoking at 250F and measuring temp in 3 different locations within the butt.  My max temp has been 170 then it dropped down to around 150.  How long does this stall take?  I increased my temperature to 275 but the internal temps aren't increasing.

Thoughts?
  • henapple
    just have to wait... you could wrap and turbo the rest of the way.
  • Eggcrazy
    Well everything went very well! The 7 lbs butt took 7 hours with a combination of Low and Slow to 160 then Turbo (375 degrees) to 207. FTC for 1 1/2 hours then pulled and served with Slaw and homemade white BBQ sauce and Grilled Potatoes. Eggsellent!!
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Similar path here without the slaw. Chips and pickles instead. We put two Costco boneless shoulders on a LBGE yesterday at 11:00 am and let 'em go at 275F grate temp using an Auber controller. Just some dumb Badia rub as these were going to be for kids and wives and girls. Bumped the Auber up to 300F when IT hit 150F, think it was around 2:00pm and pulled them off the grate at 5:00 pm with IT in both ranging from 198 to 206F. Rested them in a cooler wrapped in foil for an hour and a half and they pulled apart, ok they pretty much fell apart. They were perfect, really, but as you'll find out it's hard to mess 'em up unless you under cook them. Gave the one away for a birthday present (and am now in THAT person's will). All while getting the garden done and the back porch cleaned off and playing with the kids and the dog...... and smellin' up the neighborhood!