Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Crackled Glaze on Lid

This is a picture of my lid. I've had my egg for about 10 months. It is outside sometimes covered and sometimes uncovered. I just noticed these little cracks in the glaze all over the lid. It is not happening on the bottom. Has anyone else's egg done this? Any idea if it is covered under warranty or if I should even worry about it?
LBGE Knoxville, TN
image.jpg 808.1K

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,267
    It's called crazing I think and is a normal part of the finish. Nothing to worry about unless pieces start to flake off. Mine has looked like that for a while; almost a year old and just about never covered.

Any issues should be covered by the warranty.
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,873
    It's called crazing. It is considered normal on ceramic.
  • Thanks for easing my mind. That why i love this forum. I'll get back to cooking now and quit worrying. 2 7lb pork butts going on tonight for dinner tomorrow.
    LBGE Knoxville, TN
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,386
    I think it's called crazing, mine has looked like that for a while now  8-}

• Randy1Randy1 Posts: 373
    Mine did that the first week I got(2010). I freaked and made them replace the dome. The new one did the same thing again. I would agree it is normal.
  • bo31210bo31210 Posts: 632
    Mine is the same    noticed it about a month or two after I got it    Never covered and outside all the time.    No flaking either.    Did not know crazing was a word!   
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!