Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Un-Fried Chicken

JayHawkEye
JayHawkEye Posts: 196
After seeing @Doc_Eggerton 's beautiful Allegro legs, I got to thinking about doing some "fried" legs the same way. So I let some chicken legs get happy in a buttermilk bath (along with some paprika, DP Firewalk and rosemary/garlic) overnight in the fridge. Configured the XL for a raised direct session at about 400* and used a leg holder to do the cooking. Four of the legs got dredged in a flour/Firewalk/black pepper/Cookies seasoning mix, and the rest got coated in a bbq chip/sriracha chip crumb mixture. They turned out awesome! 
I didn't get them raised enough, so the tops got a little blackened - still tasty. I will try this again raised indirect so the breading doesn't get scorched, but overall I (and everone else) was very happy with the outcome.
imageimageimage
"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Looks good. Fried legs without frying.
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited April 2013
    The other way is to really fry them. Not me. But at Texas Fest year before last. Best I have ever had. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Frying over an open flame. Hope you have an extinguisher handy. Amazing.
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Man, I do this all the time on my XL. most recently I've been cutting up breasts and making chicken nuggets for my kids. Way better than the QSR route!
    Just have to pay attention and limit the adult beverages and pay attention. did i already say that?
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    @JayHawkEye, legs look so good. Buttermilk brined chicken is one of my favorite. Would a lower temp or indirect help with the charing?
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196
    I'm going to try indirect next time. It definitely needed to be a little higher to do it direct. I was just at the felt line.
    As far as actually frying on the egg...no thanks. Don't want the nervousness. Or the grease.
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    dang... another on my list.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN