Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cast Iron question

I have a cast iron skillet. I read on how to clean, oil, store etc etc on the skillet. My question is, can you spray "Pam" non stick oil onto the skillet instead of wiping it down with oil and a rag before you store it?
·

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    I wouldn't
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • why do you say that?

·
    because I don't know... I've always used lard, canola oil...I guess you could but why risk it?
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,477
    Pam is mostly Canola oil plus an alcohol, emulsifier, and propellant. These are thought to leave a residue at high temps and I don't know if they would interfere with polymerization.
    ·
    propellant... at least there wouldn't be mosquitoes
    ·
  • FockerFocker Posts: 1,652
    After initial seasonings and for everyday upkeep, I spray with Pam.  Then use a clean paper towel to even out a thin layer. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,932
    I use whatever spray oil I can find in the house and have never had an issue over many years...but I'm not yet at the grandparent stage...although that does not mean I'm not old!
    Louisville
    ·
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174
    I never have used a spray on lub. Never had an issue with clean up or cooks either.
    ·