Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

New Rutland Installed, Fantastic Temp Control!

Just over 3 months into my novice egg'ing and my factory gasket failed, no surprise and no complaint.

Installed the Rutland gasket as suggested heavily here and I'm stoked!  After curing for an hour, I dumped in the remaining Royal Oak I had; barely half way up the firebox and have been maintaining 230 degrees with the draft door barely 1/4" open and the daisy wheel slightly open for hours.  I think I'm going to like all the benefits that comes with the new gasket!

·

Comments

• Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I didn't know you could cook on it that soon?
    ·
  • gerhardkgerhardk Posts: 817
    A few carcinogen never hurt anyone, did they?

Seriously he did not say he cooked  anything , just that he was maintaining a temperature.

Gerhard
    ·
    I thought the adhiesive had to rest for 24 hours?
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,029

I thought the adhiesive had to rest for 24 hours?

He might be using the temp to set the gasket. But I would assume a good 24 hours wouldn't hurt it.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • I did use the copper high temp silicone and no, I didn't cook anything, just a low temp burn which held for 12 hours.
    ·
    The biggest advantage I noticed was my reduced amount of lump. I was burning up a lot of lump after closing the top and bottom vents after my cooks!
    ·