Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saber gas vs. BGE

Man I love work competition's.  So today we are cooking pork loin. Half on a Saber gasser,  one on a LBGE, now I am an egghead, but I do have to give this grill a chance, I mean I do have to sell them, but I dont have to like it. So I will post pics and see who is the winner. Really the Saber looks like a pretty cool gasser. Shhhhhhhh.imageimage

Comments

• Not sure why there are two, must be double the fun  :)
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    whats the lock and cable for to keep the Saber from running away scared  =)) =))
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • bigphil said:
    whats the lock and cable for to keep the Saber from running away scared  =)) =))
    Yep :))
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    edited April 2013
    Post pics and see who the winner is? :)) :)) :)) =)) =))
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • This is what we are cooking, not much but should be enough, I mean come on its work right?image
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Switch the loins out after they are cooked and you will be able to sell the gasser for a ton

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Switch the loins out after they are cooked and you will be able to sell the gasser for a ton
    For me the gassers get them in the door then I just take thrm to the Egg, man its so easy after that.  they decided to use smoke in a cup for gas grills ha ha they have no smoke at all  =))
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Switch the loins out after they are cooked and you will be able to sell the gasser for a ton

=)) =)) :))
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    This just isn't a fair fight!  Get 'em a body baaaaaag.  Yeeeeeeeeah! 

Looks like it is gonna be a great meal. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Trying to keep it as close as we can.imageimage
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    OK Chris @chris123stock - I want advance notice of these cooks, given I am only about 30 minutes away, I was in to Trader Joe's across the street yesterday, would have postponed my drive by until today.....

I like my gasser for the wrapped 'grass, use it all the time, SWMBO does not like the smoke on her veggies - says it makes them taste like meat - What's wrong with that? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Well mine is done I guess we need to wait for them.image
  • OK Chris @chris123stock - I want advance notice of these cooks, given I am only about 30 minutes away, I was in to Trader Joe's across the street yesterday, would have postponed my drive by until today.....

I like my gasser for the wrapped 'grass, use it all the time, SWMBO does not like the smoke on her veggies - says it makes them taste like meat - What's wrong with that? 
    Well every saturday, we should be cooking something,  I think you need more sauce anyway.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Egg would win that contest with one mate tied behind its back. All that's going to do is sell fewer gassers.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Now personally I feel that the BGE was better,  only because it had more flavor, not just in how it was prepared but how the internal flavor, just had more to gowith. Ok the gasser want bad,  it's a nice grill, but to the gasser guys, well you can't beat the taste of the BGE, but I will always let the masses get a gasser and leave the real cooking to the individuals that have the spirit,  and the willingness to get out there rain or shine, and take a beating to cook an amazing meal. YES I think I won in taste and presentation.  To Those who say different well there is next week,  and I will win again.  :D
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Nice cook, let me know what's on the "menu" for next week. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Nice cook, let me know what's on the "menu" for next week. 
    No problem,  I think we are thinking steaks,  this is only because I cant cook them at all lol.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Well I hate to be contrary, but I think the gas pork looks like it was cooked better. It is looks ever just slightly pink ... perfectly cooked, and I don't see that in the egg version.  And the prosciutto from the gasser looks better ... a little crispier.  I would recommend ditching that griddle as it is doing nothing to help this cook.
  • Cowdogs said:
    Well I hate to be contrary, but I think the gas pork looks like it was cooked better. It is looks ever just slightly pink ... perfectly cooked, and I don't see that in the egg version.  And the prosciutto from the gasser looks better ... a little crispier.  I would recommend ditching that griddle as it is doing nothing to help this cook.
    Good call on the griddle, just thought I'd try it, personally I dont like any pink in my pork, but thank you for your input, I know its better if you can get the whole deal see it, taste it. But thats life lol. Plus I will always say I won anyway, the gasser cook went home early ha ha. I think he was sick of me talking crap.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Taste is the ultimate decider, and I was just judging looks.  Do yourself a favor, if it is pork loin or tenderloin, try it cooked direct to 140 degrees, and let it carry over to 145.  It will be slightly pink like that, but guaranteed to be tender and juicy, and that's what that cut of meat deserves.

The griddle is my go to device for burgers.  I also use it if someone brings over steaks that are too thin.  There is nothing like putting the griddle to some burgers to get some good crust on the meat before it get too well done.
    chris123stock said:to 145
    Cowdogs said:
    Good call on the griddle, just thought I'd try it, personally I dont like any pink in my pork, but thank you for your input, I know its better if you can get the whole deal see it, taste it. But thats life lol. Plus I will always say I won anyway, the gasser cook went home early ha ha. I think he was sick of me talking crap.