Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a Table (progress pic)

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
Just about finished with my project. I have a 12 inch paver stone I was going to place between the egg and the wood, as per big green eggs recommendations. I am a little skeptical though if this will be enough protection. Anyone have any suggestions? My apology in advance if this has been covered before.

Comments

• Looks good, I think they call for 1 to1.5 inches under the base. I would look for as much air flow under the base as possible. Post the finished table.
  • Dyal_SC
    I'll finish it up tomorrow. Getting to late for anymore noise I guess. :)
  • BigGreenBBQ
    BigGreenBBQ Posts: 109
    Buy the new table nest - its only $21 and it looks better than a paver -- I have one in the XL table I built...
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Damn man. You weren't kidding when you said you were building one. Quick! Looks great.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Dyal_SC
    I think I'm just gonna go with the stone. The stand looks really nice, but I'm thinking the stone will give me better weight distribution for the bottom shelf. Think Im gonna throw another support joist under where the egg will sit too, when I lay it on it's side when i put on the rolling feet. Also think I'll roll out a fire retardant mat between the wood and the stone. That should serve a double purpose too and keep the wood clean when I store the eggcessories on the lower shelf. I'll be sure to take some more pix tomorrow and share the results.
  • Dyal_SC
    Thx, @ Chubbs. Figured I'd go ahead and knock the table out and do it myself to save a bunch of money. I'm no handy man....never built anything like this in my life. Hoping it turns out. My wife was happy about not having to spend a bunch of money by purchasing a premade one. This one is costing us less than $200.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    It feels good building it yourself, don't it? Looks good Dyal.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• My table is finished, just have to take delivery of Large Egg I put three support pieces under the spot where the egg will be and am using Firebricks I also got some 1" angle steel cut into 6" pieces which I will use to create an air space between the brick and the Egg My job today is to level the table as it sits on a large natural stone patio which is not level Several design ideas came from reading this Forum, and i ended up over- engineering it because of the misfortunes some have had with their tables. I hope to contribute back in future, but it wil be a while as I am a total novice at using this BBQ I also plan to scope out a restaurant supply store for alternatives to some of the accessories as I expect they will be cheaper and of commercial grade Thanks to all that helped me
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    That's a sweet looking table dyal!! Can't wait to see the finished pics!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    You need an air gap. Don't wanna be harsh, but this really isn't just my opinion, it's the safety standard. A paver then an air gap, either with feet, some small bricks, or a table nest is the safest way to go.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    By the way, table looks amazing dyl!

XLBGE 
  • Dyal_SC
    Thx yall and thx for the info MCN! I'll pick up some steel for the air gaps.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    looks good, mang!
    Thx....I think I may have made it too tall. I still hafta put the patio stone and steel spacers under the egg when I put it in place. What do y'all think? Should I cut the legs down a few inches?
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    I have my table top at 36 from the ground egg ends about 38-39 to the felt I like it but I am tall. Not much for stooping over here. Definitely an ergonomics choice. Table looks good though
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Nice table what distance did you use from the shelf to the tabletop?did you go with 15 inches or more and Did you cut 21 inch hole in the tabletop or slightly larger .im just curious as I'm planning my own table thanks.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Dyal_SC
    I think the way mine is now will put the felt line to about 40.5 inches. I'm 5'11" ... Think it will be all that uncomfortable? I like the height of the tabletop itself...feels just right. I'm figuring its going to sit approximately 6 inches higher than it sits in the nest.
  • Dyal_SC
    Caveman, I went with 15 inches with a 21 inch hole.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Maybe the paver and some pieces of slate or tile to stand in as feet, just enough to provide airflow and prevent direct transfer.  I used small bricks for my mini, but needed to boost it up for the way the table was built.
  • I picked up a 18x18 x1 1/2 inch blue stone from the local garden center for $6 works great
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Dyal_SC
    edited April 2013

It ended up being the perfect height!  I'm excited!  I put down one of those spark resistant grill mats, the 15.5 inch paver stone, some 1 inch steel strap spacers that I cut into 9 to 12 inch pieces, and then the egg.  I can see daylight all the way through the gap between the stone and the BGE, so I think I'm covered.  Plus the mat is a nice peace of mind.  It also serves a double purpose and it's going to keep the wood clean from dirty grill grates.  All in all, I'm happy with how it turned out.  :)

• Beautiful material and craftsmanship!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Dyal_SC

Thanks, Dave!  Just added another addition.....Gaaaaame.....  Cocks!!!  :D

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Dyal, I am envious. You also have a concrete patio at ground level, so wood is OK for you.

Strong work on the table.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Dyal_SC
    Thx a lot everyone for the comments and advice. For a better visual, I ended up getting a one inch steel strap and cut into 1/3's. one piece about 12 inches and two about 9 inches. It's a narrow gap between the stone and egg, but a gap nonetheless. I can see daylight through the space. Do y'all think its enough? I also have the spark mat under the stone. Thx again for all y'all's help!!

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Very nice work! I didn't notice a bottle opener that must be on order?
    Lynnwood WA
  • Dyal_SC
    Thx, @ double! I already have one installed on my grill gazebo. ;)
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Great work man! I love my table - lots of room for food prep and finishing. I added a 2x2 marble slab on th top next to the egg to make a better (and heat resistant) work surface. Don't know if @onelikearock is still around - if so, how did you do the inlay on top? Great job! I'd love to do that but not sure how? Right now my marble just sits on top.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    For 2 1/2 years, my large has sat on the ceramic feet on a paver in the table,  No problems, good balance, etc.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Sweet table. Sounds like you blazed through this project.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.