Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seeking Tri Tip Guidance

I have had my LBGE for about 3 weeks and was planning to try @eddiek76's Balsamic Flank Steak today but Trader Joe's was out of them.  I ended up with a Tri Tip and thought I would ask for some guidance on marinade or rub for it as well as any cooking advice.

Thanks in advance for the tips.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Tri tip is one of my favorite cuts. I usually TRex mine. Get egg to 600+ and sear a minute it two each side onto spider and CI grid. Pull and cover on foil- it will continue to cook slightly. Brig egg down to 400 or so and finish until medium rare.

I use Dizzy Pig Raisig the steaks on mine
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Always had luck this way - turns out great.

Tri Tip Roast Seasoning

1 1/2 tablespoons table salt

1 tablespoon granulated garlic

1/2 teaspoon dried parsley

1/4 teaspoon black pepper, medium grind

1/4 teaspoon Accent (MSG)

Pat the tri-tip dry with paper towels and apply a heavy sprinkling of seasoning all over the meat. There's no need to do this hours before cooking--season right after you start the fire in the cooker and let the meat sit at room temperature until you're ready to cook.

Chop the parsley or crush it between your fingers to make it small enough to mix well with the other ingredients. Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Tri Tip Roast

Adjust vents to maintain a cooking temperature of 350-375°F.

Cook the meat raised direct on one side for about 15 - 20 minutes, then turn it over and cook to an internal temperature of 125-135°F, depending on the doneness you prefer. 

When the meat hits the target temperature, place the grate right over the hot coals in the charcoal bowl and sear the roast for about 5 minutes, turning several times to ensure even browning.

After searing, remove the meat to a platter, cover with foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing thin across the grain.

Grambler Posts: 153
    I like to marinade in chimichurri for a few hours. I use a recipe from my weber recipe book. Lots of good ones online as well.
  • RoundTowner
    RoundTowner Posts: 125
    Sea salt, black pepper, garlic power, paprika....450-500....sear drop temp .... Finish off medium rare.......
  • Cooper772
    Cooper772 Posts: 13
    I'm doing Tri-tip tonight. First one on the BGE, but have done them before. It is marinading in Italian Robusto dressing right now. I plan on doing it raised direct for 15-20 min. per side @ 375ish. we will see how it goes.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    I do tri-tips ofter!  One of the family favorites!  I sear for about 3 min each side at 700, then cook indirect at 375 degrees - 400 degrees til I hit 130 internal temp.  SWMBO and the teenage girl like it more medium than medium rare.

I use a seasoning called Spade L Ranch.  I've tried may other rubs and marinades, but I always go back to Spade L for tri-tip.  Spade L Ranch is available here in So Cal at various supermarkets next to the meat counter.

I know I need to try the reverse sear method one of these days, but it's hard to deviate from something that's worked well for me in the past!  Maybe this weekend...
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • @Cooper772 - Good luck.  I was worried about my tri tip because of the appearance when I seared it but after my 10 and 6 year old girls ate every bite I felt pretty good.  Best of luck