Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork tenderloin - how long to cook at 250?

Options
Rockosteel
Rockosteel Posts: 44
Cooking four pork tenderloins today - suggestions on time to let them cook over 250 indirect heat? Thanks in advance
Charlotte, nc

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    All I know/cook them  is raised direct at around 350*F and they run 25-30 mins to 140*F.  May help you out...I'm guessing no more than 45-50 mins. YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 on raised direct to 140.

henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    do you have a thermapen?... maverick?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    1 hour+
    You got a maverick? I'd go a little hotter indirect or do a sear.

Just my method, I sear them off on all sides direct around 400, then go indirect until internal temp of 150 with dome temp around 350. I give myself an hour usually for the whole cook.

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Agree, I'm thinking about 45 min to an hour, but you should just go until the internal temp is to your liking.  I go to about 145ish.  

If you don't have a meat thermometer I would pick one up.  You can get a cheapo dial thermometer like this at the grocery store for starters while your thermapen and maverick is being ordered :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options

Agree, I'm thinking about 45 min to an hour, but you should just go until the internal temp is to your liking.  I go to about 145ish.  

If you don't have a meat thermometer I would pick one up.  You can get a cheapo dial thermometer like this at the grocery store for starters while your thermapen and maverick is being ordered :)

Exactly what he said. The biggest help to my cooking, and don't see how I ever cooked without it, is a thermometer. Cooking to temp is the only way to cook meat.

XLBGE 
  • CajunEggHead
    Options
    If you cook at no matter how long go by the internal temp to get the satisfaction that you want, you don't definitely want to dry it out so use a Maverick or thermapen

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen